Or, How to Keep Us All One Big Happy Family
What we do:
The IKEAFANS website and forums exist because of a generous community of all kinds of people: fans of IKEA, IKEA co-workers, IKEA researchers, remodelers, DIYers, contractors, shoppers, lurkers; here are both experienced and inexperienced people from all around the world.
WE WELCOME YOU ALL
We have established these guidelines to give a framework to the kind of behavior that is acceptable as well as that which is unacceptable so that we can maintain a nice place to be. The simple rules we write here can in no way constitute the entire scope of how the board will be managed. We can only provide the guidelines. That being said, here they are:
RESPECT IS THE KEY
The IKEAFANS Forums is a place where it's okay to be yourself -- be that matter-of-fact, verbose, angry, silly, light-hearted, serious, ecstatic or sad -- as long as you always act with respect for your fellow IKEAFANS. We promise that you won't have to leave your personality, your opinions, your feelings (or your brain!) at the door. We will willingly listen to your suggestions and complaints, and try to incorporate your ideas in everything we do.
REPUBLISHING YOUR WORDS
We know that your posts are filled with your experiences and your cumulative knowledge of how things work in the real world and because of this we are dedicating ourselves to bringing the best of our community to a larger audience. We may do this by including links to your posts throughout the site and by using discussion topics for the basis of new articles and features, services and products. We reserve the right to quote forum posts in future newsletters, throughout the IKEAFANS website and in IKEAFANS promotions.When republishing your quotes for wide distribution, we will identify you only by your IKEAFANS member/user/screen name. While we may compile and glean information from posts for products or services available for additional fees, we will not include any of your words or photos in paid products or services unless explicit permission is granted in writing. If you would prefer that your words not be reused or quoted within the site, please notify us of this preference in English by contacting us.
HOW TO REPORT A PROBLEM OR GET HELP
If you come across any violations to these guidelines in the forums, do not hesitate to let us know by contacting the moderator of the forum in which the offending post is located, or by contacting us. We'll be happy to address your concerns in the most expedient manner possible. Similarly, if you have difficulties navigating the site, finding what you're looking for, or locating information, let us know!
What we expect you to do:
PLEASE REMEMBER TO WELCOME NEWCOMERS
One reason the IKEAFANS Forums is so special is that we welcome all newcomers, regardless of their level of knowledge or experience. We endeavor to help new members learn about how to find information and resources, and how to get involved in the community. Members feel welcome and a part of our community when we are gracious, friendly and helpful. Remember that everyone here was once new, and that becoming a part of an online community is not always second nature. We are all learning every day.
BASIC HUMAN KINDNESS
No one shall create or condone a post openly disparaging or in contempt of any individual or group of people based on race, color, creed, national origin, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family relationship, age, mental or physical disability, religion or religious beliefs. Ever.Remember that our members are all individuals, just like you, from countries and cultures all around the world. They may or may not share your opinions, ideas, preconceptions, notions or feelings on what is or isn't offensive. Members are cautioned to take the greatest care when referring to individuals, political parties, religious institutions and the like not to insult another member by using a pejorative term referring to an individual's membership in a protected class. Moderators will actively pursue complaints raised about these issues, and enact sanctions, up to and including the revocation of posting rights and/or banning a habitual offender from the site.
* OTHER PEOPLE'S STUFF Copying content from another person's work, or another website, is not allowed without express permission from the creater/owner of the original work. Even if you attribute the article correctly it is still copyright infringement. Do not reproduce substantial parts of articles or news items from other sites in the forums. If you don't have permission to copy something then always err on the side of caution and simply post a link to the material at its original location, or quote a short excerpt only, indicating where the quote came from. IKEAFANS shall not be held responsible for member-posted information that violates copyright.
* OUR STUFF Likewise, copying, printing or downloading content from the IKEAFANS site with the intent to redistribute, republish or reproduce for commercial purposes or in any way other than for one-time personal use is a violation of United States and international copyright law. We reserve all rights to the content of this site. The IKEAFANS logo may not be used by anyone who is not a member of the IKEAFANS staff, in any way, shape or form.
And noone else. Multiple accounts per member are not permitted at IKEAFANS. We are a community, and we want to know that you are you and not well...someone else. If you've made a mistake in your account, lost your password or for whatever reason feel as though you need to create a new account, please contact us and we'll assist you.
THINK BEFORE YOU POST
Pretend you run these forums; in essence, you do. Before you hit the send button think about whether you would allow your post on your own site or forums. As Smokey the Bear says, "Only You" can prevent offensive posts, spam and cross posting. Along those lines...
* DON'T GET PERSONAL Personal attacks and insults will not be tolerated. When responding to other's views and opinions, even if they disagree violently with your own, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully - without insult and/or personal attack. If you are not capable of responding in a respectful manner, please refrain from responding at all. The forums are moderated – every single thread is read by at least one moderator every single day. The responsibility of determining whether (or not) a post is offensive or insulting lies entirely with the moderator and/or the administrator of the forum. Posts can and may be removed entirely at the discretion of the moderator and/or the administrator, and the poster will be notified and disciplinary action will be taken, up to and including the revocation of posting rights and/or banning from the forums.
* BE COURTEOUS: AVOID DUPLICATE POSTS Do not post the same discussion more than once on a discussion forum or on many forums. Duplicate discussions can be frustrating for other members, especially for those whose time and energy is limited. Duplicate discussions will be deleted. Reposting the same message repeatedly can be interpreted as spam and could result in the loss of your membership.
* DON'T BE NAUGHTY There may be places where explicit, obscene or vulgar language, graphics or behavior is appropriate but IKEAFANS is most emphatically not one of them. Forum posts or member/user/screen names that contain explicit, obscene or vulgar language will be removed. Similarly, posts that solicit or offer explicit or X-rated GIFs, JPEGs or similar content files will be deleted without notice and disciplinary actions will be taken, including the immediate revocation of posting rights and/or banning from the forums.
* KEEP PERSONAL INFORMATION PERSONAL Before you post, consider that what you post will not only appear on our forum, but may also come up in searches and on external search engines. If you do not wish to make a piece of information public knowledge, do not post it. Also, remember that it's not fair to post the personal information of a person who (whom?) you are not.
USING THE PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM
The private message system of the forums allows you to send messages to other members in private. Where applicable, the same guidelines apply to the private message system as apply to messages posted on the forums. Sending any unrequested commercial and/or bulk message through the private message system may result in an immediate suspension of posting privileges, or banning completely from the forums. Furthermore, any reports of harassment via the PM system will be fully investigated. To report an abusive or unwanted PM, please contact us.
SWAPS AND EXCHANGES
The Swaps and Exchanges forum is intended as a place for members to find parts, locate discontinued items, seek matching pieces to a set, or to acquire items not otherwise available in their location. Members may also offer items for sale or exchange, providing that the terms of the offer are reasonable and do not constitute price gouging or attempts at profiteering. To determine a fair price for an item, consider the catalog price (or price paid), plus shipping and a nominal finders' fee as a formula for success.Swaps and Exchanges is NOT INTENDED as a resource for resellers (eBay or otherwise) to procure items for sale elsewhere. Any attempts to acquire more than what is reasonable for one individual's purposes will be closely monitored and if suspicions are raised, warnings will be issued and forum and private messaging privileges may be suspended immediately. Further activity without heeding the warning may lead to a complete banning from the site. The determination of appropriate use of the Swaps and Exchanges forum lies solely with the moderators and administrators of the site; if you are unsure as to whether your post to the Swaps and Exchanges forum or use of the Private Messaging system in this regard is appropriate, please do not hesitate to ask a moderator or contact us
The IKEAFANS Forums has a no-self-promotion policy that is strictly enforced. This is by consensus of the membership. Linking to your own web pages (other than to personal blogs, personal websites or personal photos hosted publicly) or pages from sites which you are affiliated with commercially (including affiliate links) will be deemed as self-promotion, will be removed or edited and could result in the loss of your membership. Under certain conditions, links to your site can be placed in designated areas of the forums (such as in our IKEA Fans Directory, in your profile, or in your Blog) only. If you are unsure as to whether your link constitutes a commercial advertisement, please contact us.
The IKEA Fans Directory
Our IKEA Fans Directory allows businesses the opportunity to promote their businesses to IKEAFANS members in a way that is non-obtrusive but effective. As a member of the IKEA Fans Directory, you may have privileges such as linking to your directory entry, including your company logo in your signature, and/or displaying an icon indicating your membership in the directory. Under no circumstances are businesses or agents of those businesses, whether they are IKEA Fans Directory members or not, to promote themselves directly within forum posts to members. Different rules may apply to forum sponsors
IKEA Fans Forum Sponsors
On occasion, IKEAFANS may make an opportunity available for a business to sponsor a forum on a quarterly basis. Forum sponsorship grants additional promotional opportunities as well as more exposure for the company within the IKEAFANS community. If you are interested in a forum sponsorship opportunity, please contact us
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT
IKEAFANS and its assigned agents (moderators, administrators and others designated by the administrator) reserves the right to remove any post which does not relate to the topic being discussed in the forum. In addition, IKEAFANS reserves the right to organize categories and forums in order to best serve the majority of our members. For example, narrow-interest or minimal activity topics may, at IKEAFANS’ discretion, be relocated to a more appropriate forum, or deleted entirely.IKEAFANS and its assigned agents also reserves the right to edit, prohibit or delete discussions that are thought to violate applicable law or that may be harmful to other members, the sites that comprise IKEAFANS, or the rights of IKEAFANS or others. That said, IKEAFANS does not have the practical ability to restrict conduct or communications that might violate these guidelines or the Terms and Conditions prior to transmission to the internet and while we endeavor to do so, neither can we guarantee prompt removal of offending forum posts.
FINALLY...If you've been accused of a wrongdoing please don't react irrationally. When we revoke privileges we do so to preserve the professionalism and the friendly nature of the forums, not as part of a personal vendetta. If you question the action taken, please feel free to contact us to discuss your concern.By using the IKEAFANS website and forums, you are agree that you have read and accept these guidelines and will abide by them. If you do not agree, then please click here. These Community and Forum Guidelines are effective immediately, and may be updated at any time. It is your responsibility to check periodically to ensure that you are aware of and are comfortable with any changes.
Should you violate any of these guidelines, consequences may include but are not limited to: a warning, a warning with partial or complete loss of privileges for a specified period of time, partial or complete loss of privileges forever or banning from the site.
As always, if you have questions or concerns regarding these policies, please feel free to contact us.