How to install a dishwasher at the end of a cabinet run
By
Published by Susan
Jan 30th, 07
Subject:
Article Subject
Assembly & Installation

If your IKEA co-worker has done you right, they will have sold you a 30" x 40" cover panel, not a standard base cabinet cover panel. The standard cover panels are not large enough to reach all the way to the floor--they are only meant to cover to the toekick. Also, the 30"x40" panel is 5/8" thick instead of the typical 1/2" thick cover panels. It does not come with L brackets--you'll need to pick those up at your local hardware store, along with the appropriate screws (if not included) for your floor/subfloor, walls (if applicable) and counter substrate.

You will need to cut the panel to size (in two directions) and possibly shim it, as we have. We installed heavy duty 3" L brackets: 2 on the top, 2 on the bottom, in each case, one forward and one back, and there will be 2 in the back, when we get done. It's very solid--supporting a counter made of 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood with soapstone tile on top. My husband actually danced on it, just to prove a point.

There was good suggestion to install the cut edge toward the top and leave the finished edge at the bottom so that if there were ever any water seepage (mopping, dishwasher leak, etc) it wouldn't get into the panel and cause swelling. Good idea! (Wish I'd thought of it...)
Click for larger version
Click for larger version
Also, make sure that when you put in your brackets near the front that you put them far enough back that they aren't visible . We've installed flooring, trim, and the soundproofing padding that came with the dishwasher, so the brackets will never be visible. We also added some decorative molding, base trim and Capita legs.

Click for larger version

Member rating
Was this information useful?N/A
Rate the writing style and readability.N/A
Were illustrations and/or photos instructive?N/A
Chance you'll recommend to othersN/A
0 members rated N/A% average
  5 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
By mfhau on Aug 11th, 07, 6:41 am
Re: How to install a dishwasher at the end of a cabinet run

Correct me if I'm wrong
this Cover Panel is not available anywhere but the USA - only the standard end cover panels are available elsewhere - mind you I can't see it on the current 2008 USA web site.
IKEA should make it available worldwide I should think
By Gloria on Aug 14th, 07, 8:42 am

mfhau,
In the US, it is also known as an "oven panel" since it is commonly used as trim around a built-in oven. Does your IKEA offer built-in oven cabinets? The web site is often inaccurate, unfortunately.
Gloria
By Gollum on Aug 31st, 07, 9:23 pm

Susan wrote:
"There was good suggestion to install the cut edge toward the top and leave the finished edge at the bottom so that if there were ever any water seepage (mopping, dishwasher leak, etc) it wouldn't get into the panel and cause swelling."

Because of steam from the dishwasher, it might actually be better to have the cut edge at the bottom. There's a good reason why IKEA tells us to use the FIXA diffusion barrier above the dishwasher.
By mfhau on Sep 2nd, 07, 12:11 am

Yes they do the oven cabinets - I've bought one!! So there should be an Panel for it that's this special size ?? I'll ask
By mfhau on Sep 3rd, 07, 3:20 am

OK - I can now confirm that the "oven panel" or anything approaching that size is not available in Australia. The very helpful Ikean who I spoke with knew the problem but had no solution. Also the FIXA dish washer thingy is not here either.

Onward for another solution.
By woodswell on Sep 3rd, 07, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfhau View Post
OK - I can now confirm that the "oven panel" or anything approaching that size is not available in Australia. The very helpful Ikean who I spoke with knew the problem but had no solution. Also the FIXA dish washer thingy is not here either.

Onward for another solution.
If you seal the cut edge, it should be safe. I've read that people have used either a varnish or polyurethane type stuff or simple wood glue - but I would use a marine wood glue to be more water resistant.
By JustinOG on May 2nd, 10, 11:30 pm

My island is all but complete, except for the panel for the end of run dishwater. It is backing on a 15" drawer unit oriented at right angle to the dishwasher.

I ordered the oven panel as suggested here and elsewhere and unpacked it tonight and find this is not useful at all. I think is also cost me $100.

My problem is I want to have to cut only one side, the side hidden up under the counter top. Actually I'd prefer to cut no sides, but for some reason there IKEA doesn't make a piece that is 36 x 24 which is what you would want for end of run slide in or dishwasher...

I could do 2 cut sides to make the 36" but they have to be opposing and the front and back finished with 24" width.

In perusing the Ikea site it see I can get and entire Akurum Lidingo 38" x 24" x 12" wall cabinet for $147. Seems to me I can take the door from this, cut off the top, and I have what I need.

Any comments on this?

Also, will they sell me just the door for this cabinet? Seems cheaper and better way to go to get the panel.

-J

Part 11 on this pic : http://www.ikeafans.com/galleries/im.../1_Kitchen.gif
Attached Images
File Type: gif Kitchen.gif (22.7 KB, 170 views)
By quiltmaster on May 5th, 10, 3:31 pm

I cannot comment on whether your scheme will work or not, but, yes, the doors are sold separately. As are all of the IKEA components. Good luck.
By JustinOG on May 13th, 10, 11:51 am

I went ahead and made a dishwasher end panel out of a 24" door, which is actually 23 7/8" x 30 3/8".

I used plinth attached along the bottom edget to get the right height, so the top of the door is up to counter top height.

It looks pretty good, but if I did it over again (maybe one day I will!) I would probably put in a verticle 'post' at the back edge about an inch wide of plinth or valence to move the front of the door/panel an inch closer to the front of the dishwasher, the door panel is 1/8" too short, and the door/drawer fronts add another 3/4".

Pictures attached.
-J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dw 1.jpg (117.6 KB, 490 views)
File Type: jpg dw2.jpg (129.3 KB, 326 views)

Comment
Article Tools

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/articles/4840-how-install-dishwasher-end-cabinet-run.html
Posted By For Type Date
cjkillian's bookmarks tagged with This thread Refback Apr 28th, 08 7:17 pm
My turn! Layout for an IKEA with Scherr's doors kitchen - Kitchens Forum - GardenWeb This thread Refback Apr 24th, 08 4:15 pm
My turn! Layout for an IKEA with Scherr's doors kitchen - Kitchens Forum - GardenWeb This thread Refback Apr 23rd, 08 1:14 pm
My turn! Layout for an IKEA with Scherr's doors kitchen - Kitchens Forum - GardenWeb This thread Refback Apr 22nd, 08 11:06 pm
jmichno's bookmarks on del.icio.us This thread Refback Sep 4th, 07 7:09 pm