By
Published by Susan
Jan 30th, 07
Subject:
Article Subject
Assembly & Installation

Contents
Domsjo Sink: Installation

The Domsjo Double Bowl sink: itís a beast, but itís also a beauty. The sink is designed to be installed over the sink base, but it actually rests on the countertop to either side of the sink. The Domsjo Sink Base is nothing more than a standard sink base without the false drawer fronts and hardware.

Tip #1:
Donít assemble the sink base until you have your sink. The assembly instructions as well as the necessary horizontal bracing bars for the base cabinet actually come with the sink, not with the cabinet base. (Itís IKEAís ingenious way of keeping you on the ball with your assembly and installation.) Note: The horizontal bars are only for bracing the cabinet. They DO NOT support the sink in any way.

Click for larger version
Domsjo Sink: Installation 

Horizontal bracing bars underneath sink NOT supporting sink.

References
Domsjo Sink: Installation Instructions
Domsjo Sink: Drilling Additional Holes

Member rating
Was this information useful?N/A
Rate the writing style and readability.N/A
Were illustrations and/or photos instructive?N/A
Chance you'll recommend to othersN/A
0 members rated N/A% average
<< <    Next Page: Assemble the Cabinet (Page 1 of 4)    >  >>
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
By Todd Favakeh on Jul 22nd, 07, 9:51 pm
Re: Domsjo Sink: Installation

Does the entire front apron of the domsjo sink sit outside of the base cabinet face? We have older cabinets and trying to retrofit the base cabinets to hold this sink, but can't figure out what size to cut into our base cabinet front. My husband thinks that part of the apron front will be covered by the cabinet front, and I think the entire front will be entirely exposed on the sides resting on the front of the cabinet. I need to see more photos, both inside and out, but can't find too many. HELP! Any info would be appreciated.
By dafogle on Jul 22nd, 07, 10:10 pm

Hi Todd - Yes, the entire sink front sits outside of the cabinet. I have some photos in my blog - that I hope will help you ... if not, let me know and I can take some more photos tomorrow - just let me know what you'd like to see. You can get to my blog easily from the entry to the left of this post - the member name and info from my profile - along with the links to my photos in the gallery and my blog.

Doreen
By Todd Favakeh on Jul 23rd, 07, 9:14 am

How far down do I need to cut the cabinet? Also how wide does the opening need to be? I need to cut the cabinet since it's an existing cabinet I am putting the sink into.

Thanks
By karen frederick on Oct 19th, 08, 11:49 pm

if what im understanding the domsjo double sink cannot be installed at the end of counter thats where my existing sink sits with about 3 inches of counter space left after lowering sink into base do you believe thats enough counter space also this sink is really housed in an island with no wall is my sink going to be okay
By Goldenearringz on Nov 19th, 08, 4:46 pm

I am reading the various articles about the domsjo double bowk sink. It would be great to have an overhead view like a technical drawing, showing the size of the "hole" (which I do realize is actually between the 2 edges of the counter) that this sink requires, and also the location of notches.

Even a hand-drawn diagram would be great!

....but i will settle for this: the width of the space between the two counter edges (in inches) that is required for this sink.

===counter===|<----sink base gap--->|===counter===

also, for the notches, what is the distance of the cut from the wall (the wall behind the sink)?

----------------- wall---------------
|
|
| sink
|__ .........................from here to wall in inches please
.X.| notch
By bcoyle73 on Mar 28th, 10, 8:54 am

I have purchased the Domsjo sink and granite countertops from Ikea. They are doing the installation through a contractor but they say the sink has to be installed before installing the granite. How can the sink be in place before the counter top if it's supported by the counter top?
By Hambone64 on Apr 1st, 10, 12:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoyle73 View Post
I have purchased the Domsjo sink and granite countertops from Ikea. They are doing the installation through a contractor but they say the sink has to be installed before installing the granite. How can the sink be in place before the counter top if it's supported by the counter top?
Hey BCOYLE- if you get an answer to this elsewhere, would you post it here? Thanks -Hambone
By Chuck on Apr 1st, 10, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoyle73 View Post
they say the sink has to be installed before installing the granite
"They" are incorrect.

The sink goes in AFTER the counters - regardless of material - are installed.

The sink should be on site - and perhaps in place - for template, but final installation of the sink takes place after the counters go in.
By karen.j.cosme on Apr 20th, 10, 7:38 pm

please post pic /comments for step 18 - underside of sink-to-cab attachment. thank you!

Comment

Tags
ikea instructions
Article Tools

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/articles/4842-domsjo-sink-installation.html
Posted By For Type Date
ufolabs / KitchenRemodel This thread Refback Jul 2nd, 07 11:59 pm