iKarma: 110
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Sale-priced Backebo, Baby!

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Range hood installation

I have an under-cabinet mounted range hood, and my contractor feels that it would be better if he somehow shored up the cabinet that it will go under. Does anyone have experience with this type of thing? He was wondering if he should add some 1X2s to the floor of the cab, or if we could get more screws like the joining screws in order to help secure the hood.

Share |

WrenX is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Sep 25th, 07, 5:22 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,304
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

Re: Range hood installation

The fan cabinet can easily support a range hood (or micro/vent) without special support - make sure you have the cover panels on each side before installing.

Share |
Old Sep 25th, 07, 5:47 pm  
IKEA FAN

LBG Adoptions

Oh dear. The cabinet I was proposing to put the fan in does not seem to be a special cabinet--I'm not sure what "cover panels" you are talking about. It appears to be a standard 30 X 24 X 12 cabinet--there are no additional parts.

Share |
Old Sep 25th, 07, 7:11 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 

The 30x24x12" cabinet is the 'fan' cabinet if you are using 39" wall cabinets, the cover panels should be on either side as the bottom of the adjacant cabinets will show after the fan install.

Share |
Old Sep 25th, 07, 9:45 pm  
IKEA FAN

LBG Adoptions

A-hah; you mean that the normal cover panels cover the outside of the fan cab. It's all becoming clear to me know...

Thanks for your help.

Share |
Old Sep 25th, 07, 10:59 pm  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 360
Gallery: 88
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Akrum/Faktum Adel Med. Brn., Pax Oak

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 

Just remember that if you're putting the cover panels in place, if you use the full length panels it will throw off the alignment with your base cabinets. If you cut them to length, so only the exposed part of the neighboring cabinets shows, then you're OK and it won't throw everything off, BUT the coverpanel will have to go in place AFTER the hood.

Share |
JimGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 07, 7:08 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

Normally the cover panels are installed at full height - the base cabinets should be adjusted to follow the wall cabinet spacing...usually this means leaving a 31" floor space for a stove (just extend the countertop a little on each side) - if you have a cooktop or slide-in range just add a cover panel on each side to keep things aligned.

Share |

Comment