LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Oct 31st, 07, 1:29 pm   #1
coalminecanary
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 7,700
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Burlington
FIXA 2 piece tool kit (pipe cutter and hole punch)

Does anyone have any tips for putting a clean 1-1/4 hole in an ikea sink without buying the fixa set? seems absurd to spend $16 on a tool kit, half of which i already own (pipe cutter) and the other half i'll only use once every 25 years or so....assuming i don't lose it after a month!

Share |

coalminecanary is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Oct 31st, 07, 1:53 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,125
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

Re: FIXA 2 piece tool kit (pipe cutter and hole punch)

The only other way to cut the hole is with a metal-cutting hole saw, which may cost much more than the FIXA set.
(Note: the new sinks at IKEA are designed to have the faucet hole cut into the countertop rather than the sink, in which case a regular 1.5" spade bit will do the job.)

Share |

Last edited by torrus; Oct 31st, 07 at 2:01 pm..
torrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 07, 3:17 pm  
IKEA FAN

I have a bohlomen sink that definitely needs a hole. i wil, post to local craigslist and see if i can score a used fixa just in case. then i can pass that along when i am done!

Share |
Old Oct 31st, 07, 3:30 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 1

Unless you have the single Boholmen sink (which has a large enough deck for the faucet) the facet needs to be go on the countertop (as per the 2008 kitchen catalogue).

Share |
laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 07, 4:39 pm  
IKEA FAN

it's this one... IKEA | Sinks & faucets | Sinks | BOHOLMEN

I am certain the faucet needs to be mounted through the stainless steel (between the bowls)

Share |
Old Oct 31st, 07, 5:25 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 17,440
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Avsikt/Kalsebo

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

While it can go in between, all the installations I've seen for these sinks have the faucet on the countertop itself.

Share |
Please note that all advice, information, and layouts provided by forum members on this site was done on a voluntary basis and out of kindness of their hearts. If you appreciate the help you received, please support this site and donate to keep it going.
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 07, 5:27 pm  
IKEA FAN

weird... well that would avoid me nee3ding to cut the sink. That's a plus! so do people generally center the sink on the counter front-to-back, and then put the faucet behind, or do they move the sink forward so that there's more space behind it for the faucet? it's hard to visualize it until it's installed.. and then it's too late to change it ;-)

Share |
Old Nov 8th, 07, 7:57 am  
IKEA FAN

FYI I measured the sink against our current "standard" double bowl, and you are right, it is shorter (front to back), so combined with the extra inch of countertop depth we'll get with the numerar, there will be plenty of space to mount the faucet directly into the counter. This also opens up more placement opportunities other than placing it in the "V" between the two sink bowls. Thanks for the tips!

I'm aiming for installation during my week off in late november. I'll be sure to post before and after here :-)

Share |

Comment