Old Nov 3rd, 07, 10:10 pm   #1
Jack Goldberg
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 110
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Smile Many Low Voltage Termosfar systems

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I am building a new timberframe style home with high ceilings that my architect designed to be lite by 10 (!) cable lighting systems. It will be lovely. The house is half-built and I am now looking at cable systems and I was shocked to find that typical cable system costs about $1,000 each. That is except for the Ikea Termosfar system which only costs $65. My only worry is that these Ikea systems, especially the transformers, will break within a year or two. I'd appreciate anyone's experience with the Termosfar systems.
Thanks

Share |

Jack Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Nov 3rd, 07, 11:01 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 14,055
Gallery: 123
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 8

Re: Many Low Voltage Termosfar systems

Hi Jack! Welcome to IKEAFANS!

while I don't have the answer to your question, I did want to say hi and let you know that I've moved your thread to the Assembly and Installation forum so that it will get the attention it deserves.

Susan

Share |
Old Nov 4th, 07, 8:14 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 229
Gallery: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Goldberg View Post
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I am building a new timberframe style home with high ceilings that my architect designed to be lite by 10 (!) cable lighting systems. It will be lovely. The house is half-built and I am now looking at cable systems and I was shocked to find that typical cable system costs about $1,000 each. That is except for the Ikea Termosfar system which only costs $65. My only worry is that these Ikea systems, especially the transformers, will break within a year or two. I'd appreciate anyone's experience with the Termosfar systems.
Thanks
Never built a house, eh? If you are concerned about the lighting systems, you'd better start looking at the rest of your home's plans this architect of yours has drawn up. Your architect obviously has different tastes than you do. Someone who will spec $10,000 in lighting without their client's direct involvement and approval has some other surprises for you.

We have had excellent experience with several different low voltage Ikea lighting products. You can find similar systems at any home center or lighting supplier. You will find a huge range of prices and quality. It is the finish and ease of adjustment of the lamp units that make the prices jump. The support systems vary widely, too, in elegance and sturdiness.

david boise ID

Share |
bogiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 07, 9:09 pm  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!

Hi Jack! Welcome to IKEFANS!! I'd love to hear more about your home- it sounds beautiful and I'm sure it will be a quality job. I've not had an IKEA lighting system, but I did have some Home Depot cable lighting that I really liked and performed well for more than 4 years- it was less than $500.

Welcome!!

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 07, 9:20 pm  
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 84,382
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

Didn't jackww use them in his kitchen? http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/yes-i...akt-white.html

Ironic that he's Jack too...

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Tigratrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 07, 10:16 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: USA-Dallas:Frisco

Hi Jack!

Having been dismayed in the distant past by cable lighting prices I built my own. I used braided stainless yacht cable, stainless fittings, 120v to 12v generic transformers, and low-voltage bulbs and sockets. These and similar items are now readily available on the web and would enable several rooms of DIY 12v cable lighting infrastructure to be built for a fraction of $1,000.

Regarding the $1,000 cable systems available through lighting designers and high-end lighting retailers, well... most of that price is just unconscionable markup. I will say, however, that while the generic cabling, fittings, transformers, and lamp components available are cost-effective and easily configured, the aesthetic design of the lamp assembly can be troublesome for a polished result.

To the point of your question: I installed three IKEA cable systems when remodeling a friend's kitchen a few years ago. They look great, are often commented upon, and have performed without issue the whole time. They are an extraordinary bargain IMO .

If you like the look of IKEA's lamps GO FOR IT - the transformers, cables, and fittings will perform as well as the more expensive brands. Very likely they are exactly the same :-)

dennis

Share |

Last edited by dennisdvideo; Nov 4th, 07 at 10:20 pm..
dennisdvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 08, 8:31 pm  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown

Do you know if I can use a longer cable for my Termosfar. In the instructions says max 6m or 20'. Do you think it will be expensive to buy new cables? Mines are cut according my old house, now that I havea new house, I want to instal my Termosfar but the cables are too short.

Thank you,

Karina

quote=Jack Goldberg;77539]Hi,
Thanks[/quote]

Share |
karinastark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 08, 12:24 pm  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton

Hi, I have just installed a used Norrsken system with stratosfar lights in my house that I bought off of ebay. A good experience overall. It has a dimmer, and the transformer does buzz a little. The former owner said that he heard that too, but it's not enough to be annoying.

Share |
Jeremy Crooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 11, 4:00 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 125
My IKEA: USA-Portland

I have just installed the termosfar cable lights, I love them, but they have the following problem: They start dim, and take quite a while to get bright (jumps from dim to bright). Kind of like it takes a while to warm up... Anyone seen this? Is my transformer bad?

Help, I feel I need to take them back (return them)...

Share |
mrwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 11, 4:37 pm  
ted
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 107,838
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

Yeah, it sounds like a transformer problem. I'd return them.

Share |
ted is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment