Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Apr 7th, 06, 12:03 pm   #1
Bob
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
How many cabinet screws get installed when ganging the cabinets? Two in the front and two in the back?

Share |

Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Apr 7th, 06, 12:23 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,740
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
That's what I did.

Make sure you don't put the screws where the hinges or shelf supports need to go, if you haven't already installed them.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 06, 1:50 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
I think Ikea has you just attaching with 2 at the front. That's fine (it keeps the faces snug), but if you're like me you want EVERYTHING snug and put 4 in.

Share |
bcbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 07, 2:30 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 310
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Lidingo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaPerconti View Post
Make sure you don't put the screws where the hinges or shelf supports need to go, if you haven't already installed them.
Are you supposed to use the predrilled holes for ganging (i.e. just use ones that won't be used by shelves/hinges/ guides /etc.) or drill your own holes elsewhere in the cabinet.

I suppose it doesn't matter, I just wanted to know what the proper IKEA way of doing it is.

For ganging in front and back, did you buy additional hardware or just use wood screws, short screw/nut, etc.

Share |
reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 07, 8:01 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,282
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

Use the existing holes - two in the front is usually enough, you can use 1 1/4" partical board screws to gang the cabinets together as well.

Share |
Old Mar 27th, 07, 8:30 am  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 110
Gallery: 7
My IKEA: USA-Round Rock
Doorstyle: Lidingo Doors (Kitchen/Bath), Numerar Oak (Waterlox)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

We did 4 on most of our cabinets using the existing holes. As others have said it's important to take into account where hinges or shelves will be attached in the future.

Share |
gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 07, 8:56 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 120
Gallery: 4
My IKEA: USA-Detroit:Canton
Doorstyle: Adel Birch
On the hinge placement front, I used the 5th hole to gang together in order to clear the hinges in each of my cabinets (which I think go in holes 2 & 3 from both top and bottom?). I'd really rather move them closer to the top and bottom to get a more stable connection. Can I use the 1st hole without interfering with the hinges?

Thanks,
Josh

Share |
SlithyToves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 07, 10:29 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 150
yes, I have mine ganged at the first hole. It is a little tricky to get the angle right with the drill but it can work.

if a person were really thinking ahead you could drill those holes out before assembling the cabinet, it would make that a breeze.

B -

Share |
breed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 07, 10:31 am  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,801
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
breed, that is the thought i have every time i go to gang them together! "D'oh, why didn't i predrill hole #1"

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 07, 2:32 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 19,754
Gallery: 9
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:College Park

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

sooo..if i'm gong to predrill my gang holes...

i should do the very top and very bottom holes?

and then i what to connect them? a bolt with a nut and a washer?

Share |
Toxigal is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment