LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jun 2nd, 08, 9:18 am   #1
amy55407
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 470
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Galant drawer unit. File drawer is crooked. Reset lock to unknown combo.

In another post I speculated that this may be the first and last piece of Ikea furniture I ever buy new and un assembled. The need for about 6 hands in some parts and the need for the Hulk to screw in the little flat screws almost had me throw the thing in my car and return it.

After too many hours, it's assembled. I see the parts on the file drawer where you can move the drawer side to side or up and down to place it correctly, but I don't really see anything happening when I turn them and there's nothing to indicate which way to turn it to make it go up or down, left or right. Any ideas on how this works?

I also think I reset the combo lock to an unknown combination in my effort to figure out how to reset it. I'm not sure because the little reset button, doesn't look like something you can push in at all. It won't push in if set to 000. The lock is completely out of the unit. Is there some way to reset it even though I have no idea what the combination is? One of the reasons I bought this was to have a locked file drawer.

I now see another problem. The file drawer does not sit flush with the top drawer. It kind of hangs out. If I lift it up a little it sits flush so it seems like the whole file drawer unit is sagging in the front.

I'm totally frustrated with this whole experience and any help to figure out these issues may help me see it in a different light in a few days.

Thanks.

Share |

amy55407 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 15th, 08, 9:28 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: USA-Detroit:Canton
Re: Galant drawer unit. File drawer is crooked. Reset lock to unknown combo.

Sorry, but did you find an answer to reseting the combination without knowing the real combination? My son set the combo and now I can't open the drawer.

Share |
rghosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 08, 11:11 am  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton

i actually just bought this set, and i like it so far (even though i just put it together at midnight last night)

I agree that you need 15 hands to do some of the things. When i was trying to connect the file drawer to the metal sliders, i pulled up on the bars that you used to hang file folders and i snapped the plastic piece that holds it in the back (where you decide if you want it for standard paper size or the bigger size). I called the store and you can't order the piece. I'm not driving 30 miles to Ikea to replace it. I'd like to just order one but its not possible. ARG!!!!

Share |
lildebi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 09, 3:22 pm  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghosh View Post
Sorry, but did you find an answer to reseting the combination without knowing the real combination? My son set the combo and now I can't open the drawer.
I have this same problem. does anyone know how to reset?

Share |
nikksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 10, 2:20 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 89

I am also having the same problem with reseting the combination key for this drawer. Anyone out there know how to fix this issue? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Share |
trustburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 10, 11:35 am  
Irm
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160

Here are the instructions to reset the lock:
1. Set the combination to the 3-digit number that opens the lock. (the factory default setting is 0-0-0)
2. Rotate the face of the cam until you can see the code reset button through the hole in the rim of the lock
3. Push the reset button in (with a paper clip, for example) and keep it pushed in
4. Rotate the numbered dials one by one to the desired combination
5. Release the reset button. The new combination is set.
6. To lock, close the door and turn the cam to the locked position. Then rotate one or more of the numbered dials to show the combination you have chosen.

I hope this helps!

I can't seem to get the two main drawers, upper and lower file drawer flush. They keep hitting each other. Any suggestions?

Share |
Irm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 11, 6:04 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown

Your solution comes courtesy of my criminally inclined mind.

To pick the lock, bend a paperclip straight and stick it into the reset hole on the RH side of the dial.

You didn't think it would be that easy, did you?

Now, beginning with far right hand number dial, rotate it one number at a time while applying pressure to the button with the paperclip. When that number is correct, you will "feel" the tension of the button changing. It won't change much, but you will observe it.
Repeat this for the middle dial. The change should be a bit more pronounced this time.
Now rotate the far LH dial one number at a time until the button gives all the way. Turn the big dial, and you're in.

This takes patience, especially for the first number wheel. Think of it as an exercise in Zen.

Share |
Safekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 11, 4:19 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 129
My IKEA: USA-Salt Lake City:Draper

Any advice if the lock is locked in the open position? I've tried the combo of 0-0-0 and that doesn't work.

Share |
AdamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 11, 8:16 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 100
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows how to reset the combo (in locked position) if I don't know the unlock combination. 0-0-0 is not working, and I even tried the lock picking technique described to no avail.

Share |
cying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 11, 9:48 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 129
My IKEA: USA-Salt Lake City:Draper

In my case, the lock was locked but the drawer was open. I just took the lock off and took it into the Ikea here in SLC. They simply traded it straight across for a brand new lock.

Share |
AdamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment