LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jun 27th, 06, 12:51 pm   #1
sftong
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 90
Gallery: 0
Hello Ikean fans helper!

I am living in Ohio, USA . We are putting up Adel Brown wall cabinets over refrigerator. However, there is only 68" space between our kitchen floor to the underside of the wall cabinets over the refrigerator.

The wall cabinets measured 24" ( H ) x 24" (D) x 36" ( W ). We never thought the space could be an issue, else we would have bought a shorter cabinet of 15" (H).

The 68" clearance is good fit for all Top-Bottom refrigerator, but it's only good for small side-by-side refrigerator of only 21 cubic feet (typically 68" height). If future home buyer would need a typical side-by-side refrigerator which is 24 cubic feet (about 69" height), the 68" space will not fit!

Any idea about any rules or building codes about minimum space required between kitchen floor and the underside of the wall cabinets over the refrigerator ?

Thanks!

Shawn

Share |

sftong is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 27th, 06, 1:15 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
I don't recall any building codes, but I know the manufacturer will give required clearances for all sides of a refridgerator. Clearance is needed both for the doors to open and for air circulation. Check the users manual for the specifics, they vary from brand to brand.

Would it be possible to raise the cabinet above at all if needed?

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 06, 1:31 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 90
Before I tore out my upper cabinets, there was less than 68" between the floor and the cabinet. I definitely don't think it would be a code issue, so I'd just put the cabinet where you need it and call it a day. Chances are no matter how attractive your kitchen is, the next owner will have to change something.

Share |
chabuchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 06, 3:12 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 1,213
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Arlig Beech
My house only had 62" of height for the refridgerator. Since I bought the house, it became my problem, no? I just removed the cabinet from above the fridge and put in a new fridge to replace the 23 year old model. I'm now doing IKEA cabinets, and putting them at 65. I like it, and whatever problem it causes the new owner is not my problem. I doubt most home-shoppers would notice that it's too short, since the fridge that's there will fit perfectly (innocent look).

If it really bugs you, just take the 24 inch cabinet back and get the 15 instead. Or, buy the 15 and set it aside in case you ever need it.

Share |
Apri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 06, 7:55 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,304
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

There are no code requirements for fridge cabinets - the design needs to reflect the fridge being installed. There is a third cabinet option: cut a 24" high cabinet down to 18" and use 18" doors - this can be used for 70 - 72" fridges. If you are buying a new fridge and can install a cabinet that fits - don't worry about the next owner.

Share |
Old Jun 28th, 06, 10:13 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,318
Gallery: 109
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Adel Med. Brown / Laundry: Applad White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!
I just dug out our owners manual to check what the clearance is for our fridge as we're going to need this info very soon...

We have a Kenmore SXS fridge and it lists 1/2" upper clearance for air circulation and 2" minimum on each side for the doors..

Share |
stacylu is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment