No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Mar 28th, 09, 11:10 am   #1
garoj
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 290
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Question Help for installing Integral door dampers

We have installed a new Solar Akurum kitchen. We have tried to install the dampers on the doors but they don't seem to click in or otherwise fit, although it looks like they should. There are no instructions and the "drawing" on the front of the little bag indicates it just goes straight onto the hinge, but that does not work. We've had numerous neighbors try with different tools and no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Share |

garoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 28th, 09, 3:14 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 22,858
Gallery: 7
My IKEA: USA-Orlando
Doorstyle: Tidaholm

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!
Re: Help for installing Integral door dampers

The door dampers are a bit freakish. They do fit right over the hinge. No tools needed.

I just refreshed myself by removing two dampers (easy, just a little push from the rear). The connector mechanism is those two little flanges and a bent bit of metal (sort of a spring) toward the front. It fits into the front of that square hole on the hinge.

Position the damper so the two flanges are fitting into the hole and the end of the damper is even with the end of the hinge. It seems best to push the damper toward you, so it approaches that square hole from the rear. You may be able to feel the spring as it reaches the front of the hole. A lucky push straight into the damper or slightly to the rear may squeeze the spring into the hole--when it happens, it's pretty gentle. Do NOT use a rubber mallet or whatever.

But.... I haven't been able to do it consistently. I haven't had to apply pliers to that little spring; I suspect experiments in that direction wouldn't succeed.

Share |
Dave of the Coonties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 09, 3:58 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 290
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton

Thanks for that. We had luck with two -- from the same package, the fourth we opened - - but can't get any more in. Strange.

One question: did you do all these with the door off or on? Thus, when you say push towards the rear.... I assume we are supposed to clip the two hooks in first, then press on the spring.

Share |
garoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 09, 4:05 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

The door was installed on the cabinet.

Yes, the idea is that those two little metal flanges will be fitting into the square hole, as far back as possible, so the spring will have as much space as possible to "spring" into the front side of the hole.

Share |
Old May 3rd, 09, 4:44 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 615
My IKEA: USA-Philadelphia:Conshohocken
Doorstyle: <3 abstrakt red & linjar blue

hey guys,

i just picked up a pack of integral bumpers (THESE) for two akurum cabinets i have in my bedroom that i bought last year.

the hinges (THESE) on my cabinets have sort of ovalish/rounded rectangle holes rather than a plain rectangular hole and the bumpers don't fit on. according to the ikea instructions and all the photos/illustrations on the blum site, they're supposed to have square holes. mine have the rounded ones like the picture on the ikea site. what gives?

do i have the wrong type of bumpers or hinges?

------------------

EDIT:

UGH. i just read some more threads and found out i have the old 130 degree hinges and not the new 120 ones. i just bought the hinges last summer. and they sold the bumpers at that time, i just didnt buy them then.

Share |

Last edited by aldyn; May 3rd, 09 at 5:06 pm..
aldyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 09, 6:42 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 216,482
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

If you still have your receipt and packaging for the hinges, you can most likely still return the 130's and purchase 125's. The 125's are store stock items, so they're usually available, and the folks in returns at Conshohocken are fairly liberal when it comes to the 45/90 day rule. They just want the receipt and packaging.

Oh, and if you charged the pieces, be sure to take you credit card with you, or you'll end up with a store credit instead of a credit back to your account.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 09, 8:46 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 186

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Question Re: Help for installing Integral door dampers

I purchased my kitchen cabinets ( akurum /adel) in Dec 2006. I was in the store today and liked the function of the door dampers so I bought enough for all my cabinet doors. But the dampers (801.262.13) only fit the hinges (701.323.75) of two cabinets and won't fit all the other hinges (042.613.00). Is there a damper part number for the 042.613.00 hinges?

Share |
Rickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 09, 9:18 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Ikea's website was unhelpful, so I googled "042.613.00", which led to this discussion:

Dampeners for Kitchen doors don't seem to fit hinges

My brain is in "gotta sleep" mode, so I'm not sure it's actually helpful.

Share |
Old Mar 16th, 10, 1:02 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 197
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville

I also ran into problems installing the integral door dampeners to the hinges.

Provided that you've ruled out that you've got incompatible parts, what worked for me was using some pliers to pull up the brass colored spring clip and tweak it until it set properly.

Once I pulled up the spring clip, the dampener clicked into place properly. The problem on mine was that the clip was set too low to seat inside the square hole of the hinge.

Share |
Geode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 10, 10:05 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 260

These dampers are the dickens to install. I eventually succeeded but after almost spending as much time as assembling the darn cabinet itself! Anyway, here is the definitive answer as I would hate anyone to have to go through the frustration I endured. First, mine actually installed perfectly FIRST time! My trouble began when I removed them to adjust the doors. What you need to do is place the two flanges on the damper tight against the back of the square hole, then press the damper firmly into place with the palm of your hand while poking a very thin screwdriver against the brass spring and pushing it towards the back. Eventually the spring will click into place in the square hole and you will be able to slide out the screwdriver. I would emphasise you need a THIN screwdriver. Hope that helps.

Share |
HandyLaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
damper , door hinges , solar