LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old May 30th, 09, 6:18 pm   #1
CP31
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Australia-Sydney:Homebush Bay Drive
Question Wobbly Mandal wardrobe, screw hinges breaking!

Help please!
I have just bought a 2nd hand Mandall wardrobe. It seemed ok on inspection but we had to disassemble it to get it in our apartment unfortunately. 1 side was a real challenge to align and once together it seemed like some of the corner screw hinge things (presumably not their technical name!)would loosen themselves.
Now it is very wobbly and sways side to side so much that the corner screw hinge things that hold 2 pieces of wood together in the corners are becoming loose and some seemed to break or pop out when we moved it. Very disappointing and frustrating!

I read in another forum about a PAX wardrobe that the backing gives it considerable support. We omitted putting the backing on as it seemed so flimsy we thought the sway in the wardrobe might break the backing. Is this our mistake? I'm petrified of moving it back on it's side as I think more corner screw hinge things will break. Can I put the backing on whilst the wardrobe is standing up?
And what can I do now to fix the loose/broken corner screw hinge things? I was thinking of getting a carpenter/handy person to come and put in a X bracket or something similar as I have no tools or the knowledge to use them! I'm also thinking that whatever the solution is we probably won’t be able to re-assemble it ever again so will have to leave it in the apartment when we move.
Any help really appreciated. Thanks.

Share |

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old May 30th, 09, 6:48 pm  
ted
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 108,005
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!
Re: Wobbly Mandal wardrobe, screw hinges breaking!

Hi CP31,
Lay your wardrobe face down on the floor.
Measure diagonally from corner to corner
to ensure it's "square". Tighten any screws
that have come loose and then nail the
backing board on. It'll fix the swaying and
stabilize your wardrobe. Good luck!
Ted

Share |
ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 09, 7:24 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 85,031
Gallery: 49
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: Adel Birch (kitchen); Applad White (office); Liljestad??(wallbed)

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Re: Wobbly Mandal wardrobe, screw hinges breaking!

Ted's absolutely right.

Check diagonally for square, and **put that backing on** You'll be amazed!

Share |
RubrikGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
mandal , swaying , wardrobe , wobbly