LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jun 21st, 09, 9:30 am   #1
ljd144
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 492
Gallery: 0
Help hanging Hemnes mirror

I have a hemnes mirror, but no hardware. Any reccomendations on what to buy to hang it securely? Thanks!

Share |

ljd144 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 23rd, 09, 12:16 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 85,031
Gallery: 49
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: Adel Birch (kitchen); Applad White (office); Liljestad??(wallbed)

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Re: Help hanging Hemnes mirror

We need to know what kind of wall it's being hung from - plaster? sheetrock? wood? brick?

Different walls need different fasteners.

Share |
RubrikGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 09, 11:37 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 432
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown

I got same mirror and I am going to hang on the sheet rock.
What is the best way to do it?

Share |
onlyexpect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 09, 12:59 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 85,031
Gallery: 49
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: Adel Birch (kitchen); Applad White (office); Liljestad??(wallbed)

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

There are several different types of reinforcements for sheetrock. Usually, you use the one rated for the weight you intend to hang.

Here's a brief rundown of some of the most common ones:

Fastening Things to Drywall

For most security and holding power, Molley Bolts or Toggle Bolts will work well, but they do require a largish hole in the wall. (But the mirror will be covering it up completely)

Share |
RubrikGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 12, 10:44 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 490
My IKEA: United Kingdom-Milton Keynes

As others have said, you need to know what kind of wall you've got. Here's a good article covering making holes in walls safely m.guardian.co.uk

Turning to the mirror itself, on the back are 4 things that look like keyholes. Two are for fixing the mirror portrait way round, the other 2 are for landscape. The head of the fastening has to go in the round bit of the keyhole, then the weight of the mirror pulls it down so the fastenings get stuck in the narrow bit of the keyholes.

So you need to get a fastening (screws in my case- I had a brick wall) with the right sized heads. Too big and it won't go in the keyhole at all, to small and the mirror will be able to fall off the wall.
The other thing to be careful of is to get the two fastening points exactly the right distance apart in the wall - if you put them too close together or too far apart, they won't both go in the keyholes . Then youll have an unwanted hole in the wall & will have to start over again. So measure very carefully before you start drilling or hammering! You also want to get them the same height off the floor, of course, or the mirror won't hang straight. Really, do be patient and careful with the measuring!
Once you have the fittings in place you have to hook the mirror on to them. This is a bit fiddly, because you can't see the back of the mirror while it is up against the wall. I found it helpful to temporarily stick little pieces of tape to the sides of the mirror at the same height as the keyholes to help me judge where the keyholes ought to be. Then you have to hold the mirror up in what you think is the right position, and move it in little circles until the fastenings go into the keyholes . The mirror weighs 14 lbs so this will be tiring unless you are strong - be patient and perhaps get a friend to help. Be especially careful if you have to lift the mirror high or hold it awkwardly. And don't drop the mirror on your feet!
Once the mirror slots onto the fastenings, pull it down to make sure the fastenings have gone into the narrow bit of the keyholes. Give it a gentle wobble, jump up & down in front of it etc. to make sure it's firmly fixed.

Done.

Share |

Last edited by ReluctantDIYer; Oct 20th, 12 at 10:56 am..
ReluctantDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 12, 2:29 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 192,726
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: Cyprus-Verginas
I've been blogged!

If you have used screws into a solid wall but the holes do not line up properly, rather than drill more holes try hitting the screws with a hammer (not too hard) and bending them slightly so that they line up with the keyholes.

Share |
bigredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 12, 5:49 am  
IKEA FAN

That's a good idea, bigredbird. Worth a go, the worst that can happen is that the screw breaks off inside the hole & cant be removed. And IF that we're to happen, you're just back to re-drilling.

You probably can't drill a new hole really close to an existing one (unless you fill the original hole first). The risk is that the holes merge into one, allowing the fastening to come out and the mirror to fall down).

If your slight measuring error was to get one of the two fastenings slightly higher than the other, you have another option - you may be able to wad some paper inside one of the keyholes so as to even it up.

Of course if your measurements were many millimetres off, you will just have to re-drill (with any luck the mirror will cover up the unwanted hole).

While I'm back here , can I relate a good trick my brother in law has while drilling? He gets a helper to hold a vacuum cleaner next to where he's drilling, so as to suck up the dust (well, nearly all of it, you may have to clean up still, but not anywhere near so much).

Share |

Last edited by ReluctantDIYer; Oct 21st, 12 at 6:00 am.. Reason: Typing mistake
Old Oct 21st, 12, 5:59 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

I've been blogged!

If you use decent quality screws and don't hit too hard then you should have no problem with the screw breaking.

You can also use this method to adjust the mirror up and down to level it correctly.

It is possible to use paper as you suggest but it has a habit of degrading over time and falling out.

Good point about the vacuum cleaner. I actually use a Karcher battery dust collector which sits over the drill bit and does the same job. Another way is to just hold a dustpan below where you are drilling to collect the dust.

Share |
Old Oct 21st, 12, 6:11 am  
IKEA FAN

Good point about the paper - cautious bending is the thing then!

Out of interest, what do to recommend if you just can't get 2 fastenings in the right distance apart? For example because of pipes or wires in the wall?

I once messed up trying to fit a keybox to a pebble dashed wall, where its hard to drill accurately - you cant drill through one of the stone chips, I found when I tried it !

In that case, someone told me, I should have fitted some wooden batons to the wall. I would be able to put the holes in the wall at any convenient points to fix the baton(s). Then I could drill the batons exactly where I wanted to fit the object I'm hanging on the wall. I had that as a Plan B for my mirror, but didn't need it.... But maybe there would have been a better trick....

Share |
Old Oct 21st, 12, 6:28 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

I've been blogged!

Either use a wooden batten as you suggest, fit the mirror in another position, move the keyholes or fix strong wire between the keyholes and use one or two hooks to hang the mirror off the wire.

Share |

Comment

Tags
hang , hardware , hemnes , mirror