Gallery: 34
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Paramus
Doorstyle: It's complicated, Stat White, and Askerum

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I've been blogged!
How do you install magnetic knife rack?

I have the IKEA magnetic knife rack. I bought it about 5 years ago, and it's been sitting in my basement under a pile of unused IKEA cabinets. I don't have the package or directions, but it does have 3 cute little tiny screws with it and 2 larger knobby-things that look like they fit into the holes in the back.

How does one hang this on the wall? Does anyone have the instructions? TIA !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3710.JPG (463.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3714.JPG (451.3 KB, 112 views)

Share |

jenswrens is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Aug 27th, 09, 2:39 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,862
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Hungary-Budapest
Re: How do you install magnetic knife rack?

I just bought a Grundtal magnetic knife rack a few days ago, it's somewhere among the boxes containing my future kitchen. I'm in the office now, but when I get home I can scan them (unless someone gets them sooner).

Laura.

Share |
Laura Lungoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 09, 9:31 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 5,287
Gallery: 34
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Paramus
Doorstyle: It's complicated, Stat White, and Askerum

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I've been blogged!

That would be great! I really appreciate it.

Share |
Old Aug 27th, 09, 2:34 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,862
My IKEA: Hungary-Budapest

Hi
I finally found the magnetic rack (sort of a difficult task with tons of boxes everywhere) and I opened it to find the instructions. From what I can tell, I am missing the two tiny bolts which would fix the rack to the wall, but those are easily replaced.
I took a look at the pictures you posted and I have a feeling there are some differences between the two racks. But maybe the installation guide will give you a hint anyhow.

...sorry for my English, these technical notions are very new in my vocabulary (I had to look up 'bolt' in the dictionary, I hope it means what I think it does )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1592.JPG (830.6 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (627.1 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg Back.jpg (799.9 KB, 212 views)

Share |
Laura Lungoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 11, 8:43 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160

It appears they may have changed the design and assembly of these racks. I have the second version that Laura posted about. Personally, while I love a magnetic knife rack, I HATE that version of the assembly.

The reason is, the bolts have the magnetic plate away from the wall by about 5mm. And since the magnet is so strong, ever time I pull a knife off, I'm torquing against the wall, which means eventually I'm going to rip it right out of the wall one day, which could be very dangerous if it's covered in knives.

The new design looks like it may keep the magnetic strip flush with the wall which is probably much more stable.

For 8usd, I may just go buy a new one, now that I see they appear to have fixed that design flaw.

Brian

Share |
bartiaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 11, 1:59 am  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 5,000,000,077,921
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Foo Fighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartiaco View Post
It appears they may have changed the design and assembly of these racks. I have the second version that Laura posted about. Personally, while I love a magnetic knife rack, I HATE that version of the assembly.

The reason is, the bolts have the magnetic plate away from the wall by about 5mm. And since the magnet is so strong, ever time I pull a knife off, I'm torquing against the wall, which means eventually I'm going to rip it right out of the wall one day, which could be very dangerous if it's covered in knives.

The new design looks like it may keep the magnetic strip flush with the wall which is probably much more stable.

For 8usd, I may just go buy a new one, now that I see they appear to have fixed that design flaw.

Brian
Exactly. The old ones had you attache the strip to the wall through the bolt things. Now you attach the backplate directly to the wall and the front snaps back onto the attached back plate

Share |
hexkeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment