Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Dec 24th, 09, 4:07 pm   #1
stacia
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 860
Gallery: 2
Question how to keep bed slats from falling? help!

I have:
Malm bedframe (Full size)
Hamar midbeam
Sultan Lillaker bed slats
Sultan Flataker matress

These were the bed slats recommended to me when I purchased the mattress and bedframe. A few months after having the bed, the slats would end up falling off the rails and that side of the mattress sinking in. The plastic holding together the bed slats eventually tore since I was pulling them back up onto the ledge so often.

Originally, I thought the problem was because of the slats I had. So I got a replacement set of the same Lillaker slats, but these started falling even sooner than the originals and has already ripped.

Click for larger version
how to keep bed slats from falling? help! 

Click for larger version
how to keep bed slats from falling? help! 

The edges of the Malm bed don't seem wide enough to hold the slats. Should I be using different slats? Is it the midbeam or the cross-braces?

I am tired of falling off my bed and would appreciate any help in solving this problem. Thanks!

Share |

stacia is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Dec 25th, 09, 3:42 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 233,966
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: how to keep bed slats from falling? help!

Welcome to IKEAFANS, stacia.

It looks as if you've done everything correctly - you have the mid-beam and cross braces in place, and at least in the pictures it appears as if your sides aren't bowing. Is it possible that your cross braces aren't tightened?

The only suggestion I have is to use a sheet of plywood as your base, and use some screw from underneath and through the "L" flanges to hold it in place.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 09, 5:53 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 5,491
Gallery: 5
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Costa Mesa

I didn't assemble my own lillaker.. someone else in my family did while I was picking out a toaster elsewhere for my apartment..

But I recall him mentioning it was a pain to do and something about getting it done right was really hard.

I have a queen size malm with the lillaker - which upon investigation my bed looks totally different. There's only a 6" difference between a Full and Queen size bed, but my Lillaker has 2 sets of slats, so they go from the side to the midbeam, like two twin beds next to each other.

Maybe it's a design flaw?

I don't understand why your slats are falling out.. mine aren't going anywhere. I think you need to go back to square one.. make sure the bed is properly assembled (i recall my family member being annoyed that the bed instructions had him install something that was tedious which the Lillaker said to remove.) and then follow each step for the lillaker carefully.

If it still doesn't work, you need to contact the store and see if they can have someone come out and confirm you did it right and it's flaw in the bed/lillaker.

Share |
knrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 09, 6:09 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 3,650
Gallery: 10
My IKEA: USA-Philadelphia:South Philadelphia

Would wedging a narrow strip of wood or weatherstripping or something between the bed frame and the left edge of the slats (looking at the picture) keep the slats from moving left and falling through the frame?

Share |
jamava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 10, 1:44 pm  
IKEA FAN

Thanks for the responses!

My cross-braces are bolted in tightly, but the one on the bottom left is bent slightly. It's at a very slight angle now where the others are flat. They also feel very flexible now, though I don't remember how they felt when I first got it. Could this be the problem? My slats seem to fall in the middle, where there are no cross-braces. It happens on both sides, depending on which side I am and which side is less on the L-brace.

I've double checked that everything has been installed properly.

jamava, I don't have wood pieces or a place to cut wood to size, but will try with cardboard. Seems that the same problem would exist though since it's the same amount of slat area resting on the L-beam.

Share |
Old Jan 3rd, 10, 2:37 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 8,145
Gallery: 0
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown-Black
I've been blogged!

Why are some of your slats bowed upward while some are bowed downward? I doubt this would affect it as badly as you're experiencing though. Have you tried playing with the collar?

Aside from that, I'm honestly baffled by what's going on. If you want to just give up on these particular slats, try the Luroy or Liared slats for some support (they're still bowed, although they aren't adjustable like the Lillaker and don't have as many layers of pine in the slat) or go for broke and just use Lade (flat). If the Lade slats are falling through, something's wrong with the bed.

Share |
fries_n_gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 10, 6:15 pm  
IKEA FAN

@fries_n_gravy, no idea. The first set of Lillakers I had weren't bowed, but they fell just the same.

Share |
Old Jan 4th, 10, 5:26 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 8,145
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown-Black
I've been blogged!

I'm surprised I didn't notice it before, but after perusing this thread and the links near the end, I just realized the little crossbeams on my MALM bed are situated differently from yours. I bought mine a couple of years back but the crossbeams look like this on mine (picture from here):

while yours makes a diamond shape. Could you possibly re-position your supports and see if that helps? From checking all the other posts on the forum it seems the Lillaker slats' bowing is messing with the side rails, but the crossbars in the X seems to support it much better than the diamond.

Share |
fries_n_gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 10, 12:02 am  
IKEA FAN

I couldn't find any holes in the midbeam to attach the crossbeams to, and the manual I have shows it in a diamond shape.

I tried filling the extra space with cardboard, but a couple of slats still managed to slip because the L-bar isn't wide enough to hold it.

Going to give this a try when I can get to a hardware store.

Share |
Old Mar 3rd, 10, 10:02 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 240

We have the same problem with a hemnes bed frame. The slats tend to fall through in the middle of the bed. We readjust
and tighten cross braces then again a month later it falls again.
It looks like since Ikea switched the cross braces from the "X" design to the "Diamond" pattern this is a common problem.

I just found this post that Stacia mentioned and I am definitely going to give it a try.

Bed slats falling problem solved

Share |
nfl_solo is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
bed slats , malm bed frame