LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Dec 27th, 09, 7:52 pm   #1
dheaney
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 678
Gallery: 0
How to remove cam locks from pieces?

Hi everybody, I'm having some trouble with cam locks on a Besta tv stand. The trouble is entirely self-inflicted, of course - the tv stand has two types of cam locks. Some of them are approximately 1/2", and others are about 1". The shorter ones are intended for use in the drawers, and the larger ones fo rthe "walls" of the unit. I managed to put the short ones into the deep holes, and now I need to get the locks themselves back out so I can put them in the drawer pieces. Is this possible, or should I just give up and head to the hardware store to get some more cam locks? Note that I don't need to just take the connected piece off, but I actually need to get the locks back out of a hole that is too deep for them

Thanks!
-Dave

Share |

dheaney is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Dec 28th, 09, 12:50 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 85,031
Gallery: 49
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: Adel Birch (kitchen); Applad White (office); Liljestad??(wallbed)

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Re: How to remove cam locks from pieces?

Hi Dave
you should be able to get them out by tapping briskly on the backside of the camlock -- turn the drawer side upside down and rap sharply.

You can also try using a screwdriver -- insert it into the camlock screwdriver slots and then wiggle it back and forth while turning gently to sort of "unscrew" it, backing it out of the hole.

You're ok trying to use any sort of tool to get down the hole to lever the piece out , within reason. If it's *really* wedged, you can get spares at IKEA from the "Spare Parts" dept (bring the instructions with you so you have the part number)

Share |
RubrikGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 09, 1:25 pm  
Administrator

iKarma: 220,591
Gallery: 1457
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 3

I don't know what metal the cam locks are made of,, but you could try using a strong magnet if Rubrik's suggestions don't work (though they should).

I recently found that we've lost the key to an old IKEA filing cabinet. It's locked (of course). I ended up turning it upside down, and removing the catchplate from the side of the drawer unit. The camlock remains where it is, but it's got nothing to lock TO. Total non-sequitor, but it's what I thought of when I saw your post title.

Welcome to IKEAFANS!

Susan

Share |
Old Dec 28th, 09, 4:22 pm  
ted
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 107,825
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

I've had some luck putting a bit of tape
on the camlock and gently pulling it out.
ted

Share |
ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 14, 8:07 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 260
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg

Here's a trick that worked for me: The middle of the cam lock is round, so you can insert a small screw that fits snugly into the cam lock, then grab the screw with some needle nose pliers. It's like stabbing an hors d'oeuvre with a toothpick.

I tried the magnet idea, and it didn't work.

Share |

Last edited by Bricago; May 21st, 14 at 8:13 am..
Bricago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 14, 8:21 am  
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 84,382
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricago View Post
Here's a trick that worked for me: The middle of the cam lock is round, so you can insert a small screw that fits snugly into the cam lock, then grab the screw with some needle nose pliers. It's like stabbing an hors d'oeuvre with a toothpick.

I tried the magnet idea, and it didn't work.
That's an awesome solution if the tape option doesn't work!
Thanks for posting it, and especially for including the mental image of a cam lock on a toothpick like an hors d'oeuvre. What REAL IKEA Geeks serve at a cocktail party!

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Tigratrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 14, 11:30 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 194,477
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: Cyprus-Verginas
I've been blogged!

That's how I get 'em out!

For the metric minded among us I use a number 5 chipboard screw normally. If that doesn't work I stick a thin screwdriver in the hole and wiggle it under the cam to push it up.

Share |
bigredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 14, 1:45 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
My IKEA: United Kingdom-London:Brent Park
Smile Re: How to remove cam locks from pieces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheaney View Post
Hi everybody, I'm having some trouble with cam locks on a Besta tv stand. The trouble is entirely self-inflicted, of course - the tv stand has two types of cam locks. Some of them are approximately 1/2", and others are about 1". The shorter ones are intended for use in the drawers, and the larger ones fo rthe "walls" of the unit. I managed to put the short ones into the deep holes, and now I need to get the locks themselves back out so I can put them in the drawer pieces. Is this possible, or should I just give up and head to the hardware store to get some more cam locks? Note that I don't need to just take the connected piece off, but I actually need to get the locks back out of a hole that is too deep for them

Thanks!
-Dave
Situations where the two sizes of CAMLOCK are used on one piece of furniture should have WARNINGS in the instructions. I am having the same problem as Dave writes here with exactly the same piece of furniture!

Murphy's Law would suggest that you don't design something with such an obvious likelihood of failure. Six CAMS are inserted at this stage. The first four are all the same size, then the middle two require the bigger cam. In a TECH how-to I would expect a big flashing GOTCHA warning...

But I digress, about to try the screw in the middle of the CAMLOCK turner suggestion.

Nice to know that I am not alone in having made this error!

Onward with the bank holiday tortures!

Share |
greelyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 14, 11:24 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 194,477
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: Cyprus-Verginas
I've been blogged!

I know it is no consolation to you but for the benefit of anyone else who reads this, the cams are shown actual size at the front of the instruction book, complete with the part number.

Where the instructions tell you to use them the size of the cam is shown along with the part number.

It always pay to check twice and fit it the once.

I hope the screw idea works for you. FWIW I have never failed to remove a cam when I have needed to , so fingers crossed.

Share |
bigredbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
besta , cam locks