No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jan 9th, 10, 4:58 pm   #1
PSU67
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,235
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Cabinet ability to support granite countertop

I have several 36" wide base cabinets in my new kitchen install. I want to use slab granite for the countertops, but I have concerns about the support system these cabinets provide for this kind of weight. I understand any countertop relies on the side panels as weight bearing in the Ikea systems. The front and back horizontal braces (1) are situated a fraction of an inch below the top plane of the side panels and (2) have some up and down flex, so shims between them and the countertop still will not provide adequate support. My concern, then, is that the granite will effectively be supported every approx 36" along the length of the cabinet run but not at all across the 25" or so width between each cabinet side panel. Even though Ikea obviously sells granite tops, I do not understand how the granite can support itself in this manner. After searching posts, I find that one solution is to buy and install the metal horizontal braces that come with 4-drawer 36" cabinets flush with the side panels. This is particularly appropriate for the sink and cooktop cabinets. How have others addressed this issue?

Share |

PSU67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jan 14th, 10, 9:10 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 2,477
Gallery: 13
Doorstyle: Kalsebo
Re: Cabinet ability to support granite countertop

I put down Sile stone and that is much heavier than granite. The installers know what to do to make it all work. I didn't completely understand all of the logistics of it but the guy said as long as the cabinets are secured to the wall and level once you lay the stone on top the weight equals out .

Share |
airforcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 10, 6:23 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 3,602
My IKEA: USA-Tampa:Ybor City

I am not sure where you are in the process, though you're post is relatively recent. WARNING: I installed the Adel Birch cabinets as my base cabinets about a month ago. About 2 weeks ago, I had my granite installed. Today, my plumber went to drop in my cooktop into the granite cutout in my 36" cooktop base and noticed 2 cracks, 1 at each front corner.

After inspection, we realized all that was supporting the granite is the metal bracket screwed into the back of the two false drawer fronts. I haven't even begun my *nightmarish* phone calls to the granite people, IKEA and Inside Job, but I know there will be finger pointing in all directions as to who should have caught this issue.

We are going to have to brace the granite from the inside and we are going to take preventive measures with my two sinks.

Anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it? I know it can be fixed, but does IKEA address it all as a structural problem?

Thanks in advance!! Brooke

Share |
bscsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 10, 10:12 pm  

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscsrq View Post
....After inspection, we realized all that was supporting the granite is the metal bracket screwed into the back of the two false drawer fronts.... Brooke
Are you saying it wasn't resting on the sides of the cabinet and those next to it? Because it should be! Those false drawer brackets are not weight bearing......

The Ikea cabinets are engineered to take 1000lbs each, more or less. In a typical run, there will be at least 3, possibly many more cabinets. The weight distribution is not an issue. Flex may be an issue, which is why installers often require plywood underlayment. Perhaps flex is what caused problems for your installation?

Share |
NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 10, 6:06 am  
IKEA FAN

Thanks for replying! Yes, it is resting on a run of 3 cabinets: I have a lazy susan in the corner, then the 36" cooktop cabinet, then a 15" 4 drawer cabinet. The granite is laying on top of all of those.

It's 3 cm granite. They cut most of the cooktop out from a template I gave them. They brought the slab in, installed it, then finished cutting the cooktop out. I now realize that was to give the slab some integrity until it was installed.

Yesterday, my plumber was checking out the hole before he dropped the cooktop in and noticed a crack at each front corner. Obviously at some point (maybe while they were cutting out the cooktop hole), the granite flexed and cracked.

From reading other threads, it's my understanding that IKEA sells some sort of reinforcement bar? We had a company affiliated with IKEA (Inside Job?) do the entire design and installation. I feel like they, knowing I was installing granite, should have recommended this reinforcement bar.

Any feedback of how this has been reinforced by people in the past would be great.

Thanks!

Share |
Old Feb 23rd, 10, 10:46 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 8,518
My IKEA: USA-Salt Lake City:Draper
Doorstyle: ADEL

First if I am correct you are describing a drop in cook top not a slide in, in other words a hole has been cut in the center of the granite for the cook top.

There are so many ways to install granite that each installer seems to have his own style, and geographic regions differ too.

But as noted above some installers use a plywood base.

Some also cut two slots on the under side of the granite each centered, one between the opening and the counter egde the other between the opening and the wall, each extending about 6 inches beyond the opening sides. Into this they expoy a metal rod like rebar in concrete, to prevent corner cracking. Some say this is not needed.

This Utube video is for a under mount sink but you can get an idea.

YouTube - How To Make A Undermount Sink Cut

What does the installer say is at fault?

Share |
bermuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 10, 3:40 am  
IKEA FAN

Thanks for the clip....

The fabricator took full responsibility and had a great customer-service attitude, which was fantastic. He seemed to think that when the cooktop hole was cut-out on site, the saw (I don't know the exact name for the type of tool they used to cut the granite out) cut into the cabinet where a thin strip of particle board runs from cabinet side to cabinet side. He thought the vibration of the wood as the saw cut into it was enough to cause vibration in the granite, weakening it and cracking it.

Share |
Old Feb 26th, 10, 11:55 am  
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 84,312
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

Great to hear that the fabricator took responsibility and was so helpful. Who was the fabricator?

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Tigratrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 10, 12:50 pm  
IKEA FAN

TH Winston in Sarasota, FL

Share |

Comment