Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Apr 27th, 10, 7:22 pm   #1
james215
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 520
Gallery: 0
Question about assembly of Malm 6 drawer chest.

I just bought the Malm 6 drawer chest today after my brother had bought one and gave me a good review. After talking to him we realized that my tracking pieces are numbered d3,d4 and d5 whereas all of his are numbered d6. Am I going to run into an issue when I go to put this together?
thanks alot

Share |

james215 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Apr 27th, 10, 9:48 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 233,264
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: Question about assembly of Malm 6 drawer chest.

Welcome to IKEAFANS, james.

I'm not sure what you mean by "tracking pieces" - maybe the tracks that you have to screw onto the sides of the drawers?

I've put together literally hundreds (maybe 1000's, at this point) of Malm dressers, and never noticed any markings on the tracks. But I can tell you that these tracks are universal among the Malm chests, and what works in a 6 drawer dresser will work in every other Malm dresser, regardless of the number of drawers.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 10, 7:06 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 520

Yes the tracks that screw onto the sides of the drawers. My brothers dresser came with tracks that were flat on on side, making it easy to attach to sides of the drawers. The dresser I bought came with tracks that are rigid on both sides making it confusing to attach with the small screws they say to use. I'm sure there is a simple solution.
Posted via Mobile Device

Share |
james215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 10, 10:36 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!

I do this all the time so it's easy for me to say this isn't a difficult piece to put together, especially if you follow the instructions.

However, there are a couple of things to look for on the drawer rails.

First, there is a pair of runners that you'll install on the large center divider that creates the space for the 2 small drawers at the top. These are exact duplicates of the runners that are already installed on the sides of the dresser when you open up the boxes; they get installed with the wheels at the front.

Second, the runners that go on the drawers are ridged, like you suggested. These are installed with the wheels at the back.

When you look att he runners, they have "DL" or "DR" stamped on them - the "L" and "R" refer to "left" and "right", and are referenced when looking at the drawer from the front.

In the end, like I said, if you follow the instructions carefully, this will all make sense and be an easy procedure.

Share |
Old May 23rd, 10, 8:56 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 370

hi, i joined just for this. i think i have the same issue as the OP , which is that i do NOT have the flat runners that r needed for steps 8,9 in the instruction manual...my kit only has the two pairs of ridged runners for the top drawers themselves. i have a pair of tracks/runners stamped DL, n another pair stamped DR.

the mod has underlined what i suspected from the pictures, that my kit should also have a pair of flat runners identical to the ones pre-installed.

i'll bet more than a few customers have this issue. i bought my Malm 6-drawer chest kit at the Paramus Ikea...time to call up cust svc!

Share |
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 10, 10:26 pm  
LL1
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 128

I am having the same problem where both my sets of runners are rigid so they won't fit with the small screws and they stick out. And neither rigid set looks like the ones that are already attached like Chuck said. Is this a problem? Can I get new runners or do I need to exchange the whole thing (I've already put together half of the dresser). Thanks!

Share |
LL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 10, 3:30 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 370

i must say that this dresser gave me much drama while putting it together, it took me 4 separate trips to the Brooklyn Ikea, one of which almost resulted in violence...several times during one visit. disgraceful!

Ikea seems to have many customer service issues, which i won't get into here...but in terms of the Malm 6 drawer chest, one basic flaw is that the assembly manual only lists all the connecting parts...the large basic parts are NOT listed at all, so you must literally go thru the steps of assembly to discover what you're missing.

in other words, it's impossible to open the box at the store n check to see if you have everything, you MUST go home (however far away that is) and go thru the motions.

again, disgraceful.

ironically, i'm pretty happy with the dresser now that i finally have it assembled, but i would rather have payed double n bought something pre-assembled...i am fairly poor to begin with, so that tells you something.

i need to purchase other items for my new apartment, but i cant yet get up the masochistic urge to go back.

Ikea better get a handle on these issues...i cant imagine their corporate hq being comfortable with what i experienced.

Share |
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 11, 1:13 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 195
My IKEA: United Kingdom-Manchester:Warrington

I hope this thread is still in use!!

Just bought the set of drawers but having a MAJOR problem...how the heck do I fit the bottom of each drawer?? The instructions make it look as if the base of the drawer 'slots' in, but the sides of each drawer have no grooves to do this...I'm wondering if the runners will hold it in place once I've attached them...or am I supposed to turn the drawer upside down and nail each base to the sides? In short, theres nothing to hold the bottom of the drawer in place I'm either doing something wrong, or I've got picked up the wrong box in the shop!!
Any help?

Share |
sally69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 11, 6:49 am  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Welcome to IKEAFANS, Sally.

The instructions do show how the drawer bottoms are held in place, but they don't do this all that clearly.

If you look at the last couple of pictures in the manual, you'll see that the bottoms are secured once the drawer runners are installed on the sides of the drawers..

Share |
Old Nov 17th, 11, 10:20 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 195
My IKEA: United Kingdom-Manchester:Warrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Welcome to IKEAFANS, Sally.

The instructions do show how the drawer bottoms are held in place, but they don't do this all that clearly.

If you look at the last couple of pictures in the manual, you'll see that the bottoms are secured once the drawer runners are installed on the sides of the drawers..
oh Chuck...you are hereby formally known as 'GOD'!!!

ty!!!!!!

from the now 'master craftswoman with a beautiful chest of drawers', Sally xx

Share |
sally69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment