LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Mar 3rd, 11, 3:36 pm   #1
eddieo
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 2,002
Gallery: 3
Besta cabinet door drooping; hinge screw already maxed

I believe I'm supposed to "loosen" the screw to straighten the door, but any looser and it falls out. What do I need, a longer screw?

Share |

Last edited by eddieo; Mar 3rd, 11 at 3:40 pm..
eddieo is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 3rd, 11, 8:51 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 216,986
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: Besta cabinet door drooping; hinge screw already maxed

I'm gonna guess that the hinge isn't mounted correctly to the hinge plate. The screw you're using to adjust the door needs to "hook in to" the slot in the plate - it's an easy thing to do this wrong. If it doesn't, the door lines up droopy to start, and it shouldn't be that way.

If you remove the door, screw that adjusting screw back in a bit - so it's almost flush with the plate (but NOT too far or it will come out) - and the remount the hinge to the plate carefully, you should get the door to line up properly.

Share |
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 11, 4:16 pm  
IKEA FAN

I hate to be thick, but can you break that down more? If I "remove the door" as a start to the fix, just how do I remove it, by unscrewing the part of the hinge IN the door? And remind me how I probably assembled this in the first place: there's a hinge AND a hinge plate??

Share |
Old Mar 7th, 11, 9:47 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 216,986
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

Here's the link to the instructions for the Besta Tofta doors: http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/custome.../B80103565.pdf

To remove the door, you're going to "undo" Step 4. Once that's done, turn the screw your arrow is pointing to in a clockwise direction to return it t it's default position, so it's close to flush with the surface of the hinge around it - the head of the screw should actually protrude slightly.

With that done, take a look at that screw, and note the thin bar between the threaded section and the flat tip - that bar goes into the slot at the front of the hinge plate (the bit you screw to the frame in Step 3).

Hope that helps.

Share |
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 11, 11:06 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 189,705
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: Cyprus-Verginas
I've been blogged!

Hi

Having had a closer look at the photos, it does look as if the hinge is not properly located on the bracket, which would explain your problem.

As ever, Chuck's advice is spot on.

Let us know how you get on.

Share |
bigredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 12, 5:11 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 437
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Australia-Sydney:Homebush Bay Drive

Hi, I just signed up to say thank you for posting this, as I have been tearing my hair out for the past few hours trying to figure how to get the doors to line up and close properly.
There really should be an additional diagram in the instructions showing that the adjusting screw is supposed to thread into the base. Anywho, thanks again from Australia

Share |
dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 12, 1:09 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown

Just had this same drooping IKEA door problem.

The key is to insert the hinges on the door properly in relation to the hinges on the door frame. I agree with the suggestions here, but think if folks understand the problem they can easily overcome it.

What is important to note is that the pin on the hinge closest to the door must be inserted the proper amount before the hinge can be installed on the door frame.

Specifically, that this adjustment screw must be installed so that the thread on the screw cannot be seen when looking at the hinge. If it is all the way out or too far out, the hinge cannot lock on this adjustment screw and the door will droop at the top because of the doors weight.

Regards

Share |
Cory Charron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 13, 11:57 am  
IKEA FAN

LOL ! I waited 2-1/2 years to try this advice, thinking it was too hard to wrap my head around! To be fair, my Besta cabinet is in the finished basement where I don't spend a lot of time, but Chuck's advice was, of course, spot on! I agree with the others that say the instructions could be clearer, but I now see that if the hinge is properly installed, you CANNOT unscrew the set screw all the way out! That means my other Ikea doors on other cabinets need the same fix! Thanks so much Chuck and everyone!

Share |

Comment

Tags
adjust cabinet door