Old Sep 22nd, 11, 4:58 am   #1
annam
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 307
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Austria-Vienna:Vienna North
BILLY: stacking extensions

Hi,

I would like the bookcases to go up under the ceiling which is 3.30 meters.
I see two ways of achieving this, but don't know how feasible and practical these are

- stacking three 35cm extensions on top of a 202cm unit, or
- putting a second 106cm on top of the 202cm.

Please let me know what you think!

Share |

annam is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Sep 22nd, 11, 5:23 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 194,540
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: Cyprus-Verginas
I've been blogged!
Re: BILLY: stacking extensions

Hi

If you try and stack bookcases it is going to look like you have stacked two bookcases (which you have) as you will not have a continuous set of shelves.

If you can stack the extensions I would try and do it that way.

Share |
bigredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 11, 5:30 am  
IKEA FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredbird View Post
Hi

If you try and stack bookcases it is going to look like you have stacked two bookcases (which you have) as you will not have a continuous set of shelves.

If you can stack the extensions I would try and do it that way.
...but is it possible, are there the necessary holes etc., to stack the extensions?

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Share |
Old Sep 22nd, 11, 10:20 am  
ted
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 107,838
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

Annam,
I've done both. You can easily stack extensions because they have holes and pins on top and are made to stack. You do end up with fixed height shelves however. The more versatile (and less expensive) alternative if you're going up a substantial height is to buy one of the low Billy units. Basically you need to duplicate the structure of the BIlly height extension. If the sides will be visible then you should trim off the bottom 10 cm to get rid of the skirting board cutout at the back. Since this cut down unit has no back brace I repurposed the narrow kick plate piece from the front and screwed it to the inside back along the bottom. I also cut down the backing board to fit the new height. I drilled holes on the bottom of the cut down unit to line up with the holes on top of Billy and then used wooden pegs to align and attach them. Most importantly I secured the Billy unit AND my hacked extension to the wall with L-brackets so neither can move.
Hope that helps.

Share |
ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 11, 10:38 am  
IKEA FAN

Thank you,
That sound very interesting!

The sides won't be visible, but still cutting of the bottom part would look nicer, though I could also hide the horizontal line by a long piece of painted wood... The whole thing will stand against a 3,30m x 4,50m (10.8'x 14.8')wall. I plan on using 5 wide and one narrow Billy bookcase.

Share |

Comment

Tags
billy , extension