Old Nov 27th, 11, 4:40 pm   #1
motayba
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 605
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Help! Not happy with Behandla-what now?

Hi all,
So nice to see this site exists—because I need help!

I recently bought a VARDE drawer unit (90049200), along with two cans of BEHANDLA wood treatment oil. I was following the instructions to the letter (though they weren't terribly clear about some things), and all was going well until recently.

After about a month of applications, (first, every other day, then every three days) the wood was looking good. But it suddenly started to get sticky with build up. I (probably foolishly) tried sanding the stickiness out, but that only made things worse. The coloring from the sanding sponge I've been using started to bleed into the sticky build-up, and now I've got a nasty blackish stain sitting on top of the wood.

I'm not too worried because I know the stain hasn't actually gotten into the wood and I can sand it off, but I will probably undo my earlier applications in the process. So my question is, what can I do to make this right? Do I need to sand down the whole surface and start over with a different type of oil?

I've read every other thread I can find about Behandla, and it's made me wonder why Ikea even sells this stuff. But I'm not sure if I should continue with Behandla, switch to tung oil, and if I do, do I need to sand down the whole surface?

This has really been a horrible experience. We just moved into an apartment with a tiny kitchen, and we need to use these drawers now and the counter top ASAP. I'm regretting having bought something that requires this much time and work just to use it.

Oh, and because I assembled it so we could use the drawers right away, I've only been treating the top side of the countertop.

Any help and suggestions for how we can get our counter top back on track would be greatly appreciated.

Share |

motayba is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Dec 2nd, 11, 12:39 am  
IKEA FAN

Re: Help! Not happy with Behandla-what now?

Hello!
Thanks to all who have read this thread, but can someone please reply and give me some advice on what to do?

I'm hoping to tackle it this weekend, and I'd really appreciate the help!

Share |
Old Dec 2nd, 11, 4:33 pm  
bgs
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 70,220
My IKEA: USA-New York:Hicksville
Doorstyle: Adel birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 2

I've never used the Ikea oil specifically but have used a variety of other oil treatments. They all have had a tendency to get sticky if I put them on too thick; what's worked for me is to wipe off any excess that I can (although if it's sticky you can't really wipe off much) and then just rub a lot - use new cloths as the old ones get too oily and just keep at it; it sort of magically starts to get a smooth sheen eventually.

I'll guess that you might try using a little solvent to gently remove the sandy spots but I don't really know - oil finishes are pretty forgiving in general in that you don't need to go down to bare wood to blend old and new areas or applications. Use as little solvent as possible.

I hope this helps.

Share |

Last edited by bgs; Dec 2nd, 11 at 4:39 pm..
bgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 11, 12:08 pm  
IKEA FAN

Thanks so much bgs. As you suggested, I've used just a bit of mineral spirits to get rid of the stain and sticky spots.

I will apply more oil treatment soon, but I'm still wondering what's you experts recommend for the VARDE counter top.

Should I switch to tung oil? Stick with Behandla? Anyone?

Thank you!

Share |
Old Dec 5th, 11, 10:28 pm  

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!

HEAT! Heat will help you get off the goop and/or work it in, and then it will help you reapply the right way. I use a blow drier to warm the surface in advance (warm, not hot!) and then I continue to apply the heat as I rub in the Behandla. As you can imagine, this is much easier if you have a partner! I can basically work my way across a surface and then come back and do it again and again and I never have any extra. The wood eventually just GLOWS .

Share |
NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 12, 5:53 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
My IKEA: USA-Orlando

You have to be careful when buying this stuff. They have many different types in the same color can. They are different color finishes too. Just look on the can and make sure it says LINDSEED AND BEESWAX.

If you are putting this stuff on a countertop that is used for food, you MUST get the linseed and beeswax one. Then you should moisten the countertop with water and wait 2 hours. Then lightly sand it. Dry wipe the sanded dust off and then apply the behandla on the countertop along with the grain. You can do this liberally. Wait 24 hours before reapplying. Not necessary to sand in between. This will make the countertops literally glow. If this is what you are using and you have a stickiness, you can buff the countertops - there is not any real reason to put more than 2 coats on if you liberally applied even the one coat. This is a wax base and if it's sticky - it is just wax build up and you can buff it to a high shine if that is what you want. I have used this stuff on my butcher block countertops and they are gorgeous. If you are using other products, you should not use your countertops for food. It MUST be a FOOD GRADE finish or else it can be toxic.

PS. I have the entire freestanding VARDE kitchen with the same butcher block countertops that you have. They always get compliments.

Share |
drpjcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 12, 7:48 pm  

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!

The Behandla I've used is Tung and Linseed. It's food safe unless you're allergic to nuts, which we are not, but we use a cutting board for all cutting and most other tasks as well.

Share |
NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 12, 8:00 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 173,083
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Doorstyle: Stat or Lidi

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

If you aren't cutting on it, any curing oil, like Tung or Waterlox or Rockler Salad Bowl is food safe (rolling dough, for instance) once it's cured. When you want to chop on it, the reqs are different. Then I'd use something like plain food grade mineral oil or the mineral oil/beeswax mixture.

Share |
Harpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 12, 11:00 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 295
My IKEA: Singapore-Alexander Road

Hi! What a relief to find this thread for me too.

I recently bought the Forhoja kitchen cart, which came with the instruction to oil the wood surface so it'll last longer - with Behandla oil. What the manual didn't specify was - oil only the counter top, and nothing else!

I made the mistake of oiling every part of the wooden cart, which, apart from the counter top, is made of wood that has been treated with acrylic lacquer! So what I have now is a Forhoja trolley with sticky legs, shelves and drawers.

How can I remove dried Behandla goop from wood that has been acrylic-lacquered, without removing the lacquer underneath and stripping the wood altogether?

Warm water and soap? Light sanding?

Share |
Qiuyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 12, 3:42 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 351
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: Canada-Vancouver:Coquitlam

Thanks for all the help folks! I did my first coat in a cool solarium and the beeswax was all clumpy! Urgh. I have cranked the heat up and my 5 year old has been having fun warming it with a hair dryer. Now to get some buffing rags to rub it down! Here's hoping!

Question though. Why did someone suggest to wet the Numerar counter top before applying the Behandler? Isn't it aleadty at the right moisture when the plastic wrap is removed?

Share |
JoPoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
behandla , varde