Old May 25th, 13, 11:06 am   #1
Captawesome
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 300
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Philadelphia:South Philadelphia
Exclamation Leirvik King Size Bed Wobble/Rocks

Hello,
We bought our first Ikea bed in February, the Leirvik, and everything was going great. About 2 months later we noticed the bed was starting to sqeak when we would get in or out of bed or change sleeping position. It got to the point where it annoyed us so much I took the bed apart, sprayed some WD40 on the screws and joints and put it back together....and ALAS, no squeaking...but now a new problem has surfaced.

Now getting in and out of bed produces a rocking motion, front to back, which appears is a result of the legs being loose. however I have since tightened the screws on all the legs as tight as possible and it hasn't improved. Anyone have a similar issue or a solution for me?

Share |

Captawesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Sep 8th, 13, 7:53 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
My IKEA: United Kingdom-Birmingham:Wednesbury
Re: Leirvik King Size Bed Wobble/Rocks

(posting a reply as I have the exact same problem and saw there was no answer to this one. Maybe it can be of help to someone in the future...)

The problem is in the lower legs - they are made of two tubes, a smaller one inside the other (which has the screw holes in). For some reason adding WD40 has caused them to slip about - I can't tell exactly but I think might have been some padding material to keep them from wobbling about. Either the WD40 has caused it to slip out or eaten it away.

No matter how much you tighten the screws, it won't stop the wobbling as it's coming from the legs themselves!

Solutions:

* Go and buy 4 new lower legs. Don't let WD40 near them in the future.

* Fill the gap in the legs between the two parts of lower leg so it doesn't wobble. I'm thinking something thin like a cut up aluminium can or some wire wrapped around the leg and pushed into the gap then superglued into place.

Share |
leirvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 13, 1:14 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 192,323
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: Cyprus-Verginas
I've been blogged!

HI

If the Leirvik bed is assembled correctly you won't get these problems. There is no need for WD40 or anything else.

The problem arises if you don't build the bed square. Loosen the screws about 2 turns and square the bed up using a right angle or follow the lines on the floor if you have tiles or wood flooring. Then carefully tighten them up.

This will cure almost all problems with the bed. If it rocks after you have done this then the likelihood is that your floor isn't level!

Share |
bigredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 14, 4:27 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Burbank

I have the same problem.

The lower legs look like a 2 piece assembly into one. One small inner diameter tube inside a larger outside tube.

Problem: The inner tube has become wobbly. So, if you hold the outside tube solidly, the inner tube wobbles. I have not been able to get this to stop wobbling after moving the bed to a new room in my house but it was perfectly fine before the move.

How do I buy new legs? Are these ones broken?
(floor level, used a square when assembling,

Share |
TLCaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 14, 9:27 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 107
My IKEA: USA-Charlotte
Exclamation Re: Leirvik King Size Bed Wobble/Rocks

We just moved our bed and now have the same wobbly issue. Is it because we need to get the frame more square or is it truly the legs, which it seems to be???? Anyone find a fix for this? HELP! It's bad!

Share |
Critz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 14, 1:31 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 192,323
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: Cyprus-Verginas
I've been blogged!

Try loosening the screws that hold the side rails to the head and foot. Then square the bed up properly as described above. Tighten the screws up again and see if that helps.

Share |
bigredbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
leirvik , leirvik bed , rock , squeak , wobble