No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jul 9th, 13, 2:29 pm   #1
gwlp93
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 416
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Philadelphia:Conshohocken
Question Tarva bed frame help

I just bought a queen sized Tarva bed frame, and I'm having trouble screwing the thin metal rods that should form a diamond into the frame. The screws won't tighten all the way even with a drill, and I'm afraid that if I use more force I'll strip the screws. Anybody have any advice??

Share |

gwlp93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 10th, 13, 12:44 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 194,540
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: Cyprus-Verginas
I've been blogged!
Re: Tarva bed frame help

You need to make sure that you have the right sized screwdriver for these screws. If you can't get them to tighten you almost certainly have the wrong screwdriver.

I usually use a power driver to tighten them but, as you say, you need to be careful not to overtighten them.

Share |
bigredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 13, 9:58 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 108
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton

I too am having problems with the diamond shaped metal pieces. The screws I have left that match up to the pics, I can't figure out how to use them with the metal pieces, the holes just don't make sense...I'm trying to attach the diamond to the frame.Thanks!

Share |
MargoSouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 13, 11:44 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 270
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown

Samesies! I'm sort of disappointed, because this is my first piece of Ikea furniture. I've heard it was cheap, but I went into the store (also first time inside an Ikea) and ended up bringing home this bed frame. Everything went together fine in about 30min to an hour. I got to the second to last step, and the predrilled holes at the ends of the aluminum support arms (that make the diamond) are too small. The holes in the middle of those support arms are actually sized correctly, and the screw goes in effortlessly, which confirms that my choice of phillips head screwdriver isn't the problem (how could that be a suggested issue?). Anyways, I guess I'll call tomorrow and probably have to drive over there if they can help... would like to know how others have solved this issue?

Share |
scotolopolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 13, 5:11 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 96
My IKEA: USA-Round Rock
Thumbs down Re: Tarva bed frame help

I'm having exactly the same problem. I called and emailed. They said to return it, which is annoying, because it means driving about 90 minutes round-trip. I also referred them to this thread, which they ignored.

Share |
mohawkjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 13, 1:34 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 270

Wait, don't return it! I should have posted this when i figured it out, but I've been busy moving, etc.

What you have to do is widen the holes on the thin metal rods. To do this, your going to have to use a screwdriver and put some elbow grease behind it. I took the rods and laid them out on the floor to make it easier, and basically just used my body weight to force a screw to start threading throught the hole. The first one is the hardest. Then, use the same screw for the rest of the holes on all the metal rods (I found it easier but maybe you can play around with the rest of the screws). Once you have put a screw through (and taken it out) all the holes you plan to use, the diamond-shaped brace is much easier to assemble.

Please post back with questions or if you get it to work! I've really enjoyed mine since I finished putting it together.

Share |
scotolopolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 13, 3:05 pm  
lfk
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 149

Hello! I am building a TARVA full size bed frame, and just ran into trouble. I have it all assembled with the two side silver rods, the rods in a diamond, and the middle support beam. However, the middle support beam is lower than the two side beams, so when i slide my slats in, they slant toward the center instead of lying parallel to the ground. did anyone else have this problem or know where i could have gone wrong? i am desperate!

thanks!!!!

Share |
lfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 13, 5:00 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 107
My IKEA: USA-Round Rock

Wow, What a pain in the @#*!
My friend and I finally figured this out, what you need to do is make sure the holes on outside beams are at the lowest point so you'll have to disassemble and flip the beam around. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfk View Post
Hello! I am building a TARVA full size bed frame, and just ran into trouble. I have it all assembled with the two side silver rods, the rods in a diamond, and the middle support beam. However, the middle support beam is lower than the two side beams, so when i slide my slats in, they slant toward the center instead of lying parallel to the ground. did anyone else have this problem or know where i could have gone wrong? i am desperate!

thanks!!!!

Share |
RosaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 13, 9:21 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton

Hey all -

I have different problem related to the Tarva bed frame. To attach the side beams to the head and foot pieces (step 10), the instructions say to insert a metal cylinder into pre-made holes in the side beam and the header. The screw that holds the two pieces together goes through the middle of the cylinder.

The problem is that the cylinder doesn't fit in the pre-made holes in the head piece. The cylinder is about 20% larger than the pre-made holes. I tried to hammer the cylinder into the pre-made holes, but the ends of the cylinder are blunt, and I didn't make much progress.

Did anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on how to fit the cylinder into the hole that's too small? Any help on this front would be awesome. Thanks!

Jonathan

Share |
Jonathan Welle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 13, 3:17 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 194,540
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: Cyprus-Verginas
I've been blogged!

Okay people, we now have at least three different problems being asked about on the same thread which is going to get very confusing for anyone who reads this later.

If your problem relates to anything other than fixing the support straps, please start a new thread.

Scotolopolus - using the correct screwdriver is important as they come with different head sizes and if you use the wrong size it is easy to round off the head or just have it slip if it doesn't fit properly into the head of the screw. Many, many people have gone wrong by not using the correct screwdriver. You also need to check the head of the screw to see if it is Phillips or Pozidrive.

As to fitting the straps, the holes are the right size and you should NOT need to drill any new holes. Position the end of the strap under the side beam, put the screw in from the top and turn slowly but firmly and the screw will catch and tighten.

I have fitted many hundreds of these and if you follow the instructions and use the right screwdriver it does work.

Share |

Last edited by bigredbird; Sep 8th, 13 at 3:22 am..
bigredbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
bed frame , tarva