LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old May 18th, 07, 6:53 pm   #1
jkgardner
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 637
Gallery: 0
49 inch corner cabinet assembly question

Ok, I'm stumped. I asked this already but will try again, does anyone have a good way to build the required offset (about 3 inches) between the 49 inch corner cabinet and its immediate (drawer cabinet) neighbor?

Curious to hear from someone who has done it.

Thanks

Share |

jkgardner is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old May 18th, 07, 10:29 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 94,020
Gallery: 77
My IKEA: Canada-Vancouver:Coquitlam
Doorstyle: Tidaholm, Abstrakt Red, Abstrakt White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!
Re: 49 inch corner cabinet assembly question

Demicent's DH had a solution for a similar situation. Why don't you adapt this to the Blind Corner Cabinet problem?

"DH decided to saw up the 30" x 27" panel I got for 50 cents today, to use as filler in this corner."

Here it is installed.

Share |
zeuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 07, 2:42 am  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 216,482
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

I'm assuming you're concerned about the top handle on the drawer base clashing with the handle on the 21" drawer of the corner base - unless you're using HUGE handles, the corner base design prevents its drawer from clashing with the drawer base.

Install the drawer base in its proper position, leaving the gap required for your layout and handles (3" seems like a lot, BTW ) between the corner cover panel and the adjacent side of the drawer base cabinet. Make sure the two cabinets are securely in place, and measure the space left over. Cut a piece of filler from whatever you're using for this purpose - it could be a cover panel or a door or plinth, but this should have been part of your original order - to match the width of the gap you've left. The length of this piece will be 30 3/8".

Exactly how you attach this piece is up to you. Having done this many times, I work kind of on the fly, using drywall screws through pilot holes drilled in the side of the adjacent cabinet. Depending on exactly how tight I am to the corner cover panel, I'll use either a small bead of caulk (if the color matches) or some screws through the back of the cover panel to secure that joint. When I do this, I'm more concerned that the filler lines up with the front edge of the adjacent cabinet side, rather than the how it lays on the cover panel, on which there's really no frame of reference.

Or, you could do some of this "assembly" in the open, like Demi's DH did. Using the side of a cabinet as a guide, you could attach the filler to the corner cover panel first, then attach the panel/filler assembly to the corner cabinet with the hardware that comes with that cabinet. Once this piece is in place, you can secure it to the drawer base.

In Demi's pictures, it looks like the filler sits forward of the edge of the adjacent cabinet and is set to align with the drawers/doors on that cabinet. As I've discussed elsewhere on this board, I usually don't do this. Whether you do is up to you, but be sure to adjust your measurements accordingly if you decide to do so.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 07, 10:09 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 310
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Lidingo

Is the filler required for cabs next to the 49" blind corner cab?

I don't have the handles on mine, but the cab next to my 49" corner is a 15" with shelves and a normal door. It appears when I add the hardware, I won't be able to open the door the full 90 degrees, but that doesn't concern me too much. I suppose I could add 1-2" of filler and get the full door opening.

Chuck, do you typically use plinth or cover panel for this type of filler? If you use cover panel material, how do you attach with screws (since it's so thin).

Share |
reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 07, 10:23 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,282
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

Toekick material is usually used (being 5/8" thick) - if using cover panel material (1/2" thick) use a #6 screw after drilling a pilot hole.

Share |
Old May 19th, 07, 10:29 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 637

The 49 inch cabinet comes with its own offset so its drawer will clear the handles on the adjacent cabinet. But the drawer of the adjacent cabinet will not clear the drawer handle on the 49 inch without creating an additional offset. 3 inches is what they used in the Ikea display at the local store...it seems right. I built a piece like DH which is flush with the 49 inch cabinet but is set back (unlike DH's) 3/4 inch to accept a cover panel that will fit flush. Looks like the 49 inch is assuming a cover panel that will fit over its offset. Seems like most people would have to create an offset...curious that Ikea doesn't provide something.

Share |
jkgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 07, 10:39 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 94,020
Gallery: 77
My IKEA: Canada-Vancouver:Coquitlam
Doorstyle: Tidaholm, Abstrakt Red, Abstrakt White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!

3" is what our Ikea'n recommended to us as well. However, we just didn't have the room so went with 2" instead. But we haven't added the filler yet. (I hope it isn't one of those jobs that never gets done because it doesn't "do" anything. Plus we cut down a 12" base to 9" and put a tray divider in it. Now we need to somehow cut down the door and hope to reapply the alluminium edging.
(excuse the mess! In progress photo)

Share |
zeuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 07, 10:03 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!

Plinth front is the usual filler material, but I like using cover panels for a few reasons. First, the color match and graining are better when wood doors are being used; second, the cover panels have a finished edge, and I like having this more finished look when possible; and third, the wood plinths have "eased" edges, which means that you have to cut both sides of the filler to get a good, tight joint - I figure that fewer cuts means less chance for a foul-up.

On the other hand, cover panels cost more than the plinths, and, as Torrus noted, they are thinner than the plinths, making installation a little trickier.

Share |
Old May 20th, 07, 10:04 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer View Post
Is the filler required for cabs next to the 49" blind corner cab?

I don't have the handles on mine, but the cab next to my 49" corner is a 15" with shelves and a normal door. It appears when I add the hardware, I won't be able to open the door the full 90 degrees, but that doesn't concern me too much. I suppose I could add 1-2" of filler and get the full door opening.
If you don't mind the fact that your door won't fully open, technically you don't need a filler. Neither does Zuess, if his 12" is a regular door; a drawer or pullout door would need a filler.

If you do want the door to open fully, you'd need a filler just slightly wider than the depth of your handles. You also might want to put the filler in, with an eye on the distant day when you might change that 15" door to a drawer or pull out configuration.

Share |

Last edited by Chuck; May 20th, 07 at 10:08 pm.. Reason: To actually post a response - duh!

Comment