LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old May 21st, 07, 11:42 am   #1
jcupak
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 110
Gallery: 4
How Do I Connect Cabinets Together?

This coming weekend I plan to start on the kitchen, and it occurred to me that I had not seen anything on how to connect cabinets together other than in the IKEA installation video. It looks like a special metal screw set. Do they come with the cabinets as hardware "baggies" or do I need to buy something at my local hardware store? Also, what do I use to screw the cover panels to the sides of the tall, wall, and floor cabinets? Obviously, one has to screw them from the INSIDE, right? (Duh!). TIA - John

Share |

jcupak is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old May 21st, 07, 12:30 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 3
Re: How Do I Connect Cabinets Together?

1) Yes, to "gang" the cabinets together you use a special screw set that comes with your cabinets. One is a "male'"screw and one is a "female" screw (hollow) that goes into it. You'll have to drill between the two before putting the screws in. It also helps to have clamps to clamp the two cabinets together as you begin to put them together. You use a total of 4 screw sets.

2) I believe the cover panels screws come with the panels, and they are screwed from the inside, but not too far!

Good luck!

Share |
Izumino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 07, 12:41 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,304
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

The cabinet hardware includes sleeves and bolts to join the cabinets together - just drill a 3/16" hole (use existing holes that won' be used for hinges, etc.) and install the sleeve from one side and the bolt from the other - be prepared to hammer the sleeve into the hole.
The cover panels come with screws, it helps to have 3-4 clamps to hold the panels in place - drill a pilot hole through the cabinet into the panel (carefully - it's easy to drill all the way through) and attach from the inside (again, use holes not needed for hinges, etc.).
The wall cabinet panels are 2 3/8" longer than the cabinet for the light valance to fit - otherwise cut the panel and place the cut edge at the top.
Good luck
torrus
(this is mostly a duplicate because I'm a slow writer)

Share |
Date Member Comment Amount
May 1st, 11 Abicat2 N/A 100
Old May 21st, 07, 3:15 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 70
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Costa Mesa
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Just a warning. The screw baggie for the cover panels is hidden inside the fold at the top/bottom of the package. Make sure to check the entire cardboard area for that screw package. Some people miss it the first time around. I know I did.

Share |
climber_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 07, 3:24 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 120
My IKEA: USA-Detroit:Canton
Doorstyle: Adel Birch

And, while you can use holes 4 or 5 (the hinges typically go in 2 & 3) for the sleeves & bolts, hole #1 is probably ideal. However, it is usually difficult to drill hole #1 after the cabinets are assembled (hard to get a drill bit into that hole because of the base/top). So, you may want to plan ahead and pre-drill hole #1 for those that are to be ganged together...

I did not do that, so my cabs are ganged together in hole #4...

Josh

Share |
SlithyToves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 07, 4:23 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 409
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Doorstyle: Tidaholm

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber_grrl View Post
Just a warning. The screw baggie for the cover panels is hidden inside the fold at the top/bottom of the package. Make sure to check the entire cardboard area for that screw package. Some people miss it the first time around. I know I did.
Ours are in little bitty white cardboard boxes that got crushed when the ends of the cover panels boxes got crunched. Even without opening, some screws were falling out. Baggies would have been a huge improvement.

Share |
woodswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 07, 7:18 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 110

Thanks, everyone for your answers. When I got home from work tonite, I opened one of the base cabinets and looked at the parts baggie. Sure enough, there were male & female screw sets for "ganging" the cabnets together as I had hoped and you all pointed out. I trust I will find the panel screws once I open the cartons. I'll keep a sharp eye out for hidden boxes / baggies in the ends. John

Share |
jcupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 07, 8:42 pm  
gt1
IKEA FANatic

Gallery: 8
My IKEA: USA-Baltimore
Doorstyle: Adel Birch

I am planning to buy in stages- first frames, than drawers and shelves, doors, etc. Are these screws included with frames or should I request them separately?

Share |
gt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 07, 9:44 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 70
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Costa Mesa
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

They're in the cab boxes.

Check one post above yours for John's revelation.

Share |
climber_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 07, 10:03 am  
IKEA FAN

The screws with the Perfekt cabinet. So you'll be all set.

Share |
Izumino is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment