LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jul 13th, 07, 1:55 pm   #1
ikea dog
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
Spacer bars for end cabinets

When I was using the IKEA kitchen software, it kept warning me that I needed spacer pieces whenever I put a cabinet base or wall up against a side wall.

Then in their instructions posters, they don't show spacer peices.

So my questions: Do I need these spacers?
If I do, what does IKEA call them so I can find them in all my many boxes piled in the living room?
Any tips on how to install them?

thanks

Share |

ikea dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 13th, 07, 3:20 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 15,208
Gallery: 102

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Re: Spacer bars for end cabinets

When a cabinet side is up against a wall, you want just a little filler/spacer so that drawers don't catch on variations in the wall. (Watch out for doorway frames as well.) Because they are frameless, the drawers and doors use the entire width of the cabinet. If you have a door that opens against a wall, the handle will hit the wall before the door is completely open so you may want filler at least the depth of your handle.

Most often, plinth/toekick material is used as filler. Some people don't like the finish as well so they use pieces of cover panel. If you do a search for threads with "filler" in the title, you'll find some discussions. Here's one: Filler - how to scribe and install

HTH
Gloria

Share |
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 07, 11:36 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 233,463
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: Spacer bars for end cabinets

Deco strips make perfect filler pieces. The color is generally a perfect match, and when laid sideways, the 3/4" width is just the right size.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment