No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jul 28th, 07, 12:56 pm   #1
jkgardner
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 637
Gallery: 0
handle template for longer handles?

Hi,

Curious if anyone knows whether IKEA offers a template for the longer handles, like the Fixa template for short handles. I didn't see anything like that at Ikea last time I was there, but I could have missed it and didn't think to ask about it.

Thanks

Share |

jkgardner is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 28th, 07, 1:44 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 228,952
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: handle template for longer handles?

I've never seen one.

Depending on which handles, how you're placing them and what size doors/drawers you're using, you can still use the Fixa template, but as a way to measure "in" from the edge of the door/front.

You can always make your own template for the larger handles - it may be the one thing the plinth ledger boards are good for.

Share |
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 07, 2:03 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,318
Gallery: 109
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Adel Med. Brown / Laundry: Applad White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!

We did our handles before we knew about the Fixa template. DH made one out of a 2x4 chunk and it worked perfectly...

Share |
stacylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 07, 11:28 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,304
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

For the long IKEA handles two of the FIXA templates (side to side) work well.

Share |
Old Aug 8th, 07, 6:52 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 260

Since I have to install hundreds of handles, I built my own permanent template out of a Piece of clear acrylic ( 8" - 14") avail at HD, and glued it into a 1" x 1" piece of hard wood that I cut a 1/4" slot down the length. Now I can set the holes and see what I am doing from both sides. Might not be worth the time, but if you have a big job or multiple handles, you will save hours, and errors.

Share |
archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 07, 10:09 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 210
Gallery: 19
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: Adel Birch

We just installed some longer Lansa handles and used the Fixa template without problem. Just use the template to measure in from the edge and mark the spot with a little nail point (also helps keep the drill bit from slipping). Measure down with a tape measure and mark your second spot.

Share |
tomkist is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment