No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jul 30th, 07, 9:17 am   #1
mike
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 13
My IKEA: USA-Dallas:Frisco
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown-Black
Question How to cover the back of a base cabinet island?

Things are progressing well lately. So well that it's nearly time to be concerned with something besides wall and base cabinets.

We're building an island out of 2 base cabinets, I can not remember what size off hand - either 2 30" or 2 36" or 1 of each. Our style is nexus brown-black so that's a whole ball of problems in itself. Hopefully the remainder of our drawer faces will be available to order in November. However, I'm not sure how or with what to cover the back of the island. I've read of folks using cover panels or door faces but no threads I've seen explain how they were attached.

How are you folks attaching the panels to the backs of the cabinets?

Share |

mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 30th, 07, 9:25 am  
IKEA FAN

Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-New Haven
Doorstyle: Adel Medium Brown
Re: How to cover the back of a base cabinet island?

Mine is attached by screwing from the inside of the cabinet. Make sure the screws are the right length (I think it was 1").

Share |
Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 07, 9:28 am  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Adel Birch

I will be using base cabinet cover panels as opposed to the 3'x8' panel so that the grain runs the correct way (Adel Birch) and plan on using 3x panels (60" island) cut to 20" hiding the cut edges. They will be attached from inside with screws.

Share |
Kuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 07, 9:31 am  
IKEA FAN

Gallery: 13
My IKEA: USA-Dallas:Frisco
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown-Black
Smile Re: How to cover the back of a base cabinet island?

There's no problem attaching to the back panel of the base cabinet? I was afraid that with the back being so thin it wouldn't hold well.

If that's the case thank you so much for allaying my fear.

Share |
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 07, 9:59 am  
IKEA FAN

Gallery: 8
My IKEA: USA-Pittsburgh
Doorstyle: Nexus BB

I'm at the same point in my install. I really don't feel good about just attaching it to the carboardy back material and find it hard to believe that this is the preferred method. Anyone else have better details as to where and how they secured the back to the cabinets.

I was thinking to try to "hit" the cabinet frame from the outside, up high so it was covered with the granite overhang. Hope to get some better direction before I start messing up my NBB coverpanel as who knows if another one will be possible to get in the next year or so....

Share |
rangerdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 07, 10:56 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 17,440
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Avsikt/Kalsebo

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

Get a couple more of the wall mounting brackets/washer plates. Mount them in lower, and combined with the default two at the top, use them as the attachment points.

Share |
Please note that all advice, information, and layouts provided by forum members on this site was done on a voluntary basis and out of kindness of their hearts. If you appreciate the help you received, please support this site and donate to keep it going.
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 07, 11:20 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 190
Gallery: 31
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: adel white & adel birch
I've been blogged!

How about this:

Cut three pieces of 1x2 polplar the width of the interior of your base cabinets. Attatch one at the top of the cabinet covering the holes to mount it to the wall by screwing through the sides of the cabinet into the wood. Do the same for the middle and bottom of the units. Then you will have something solid to screw threw to atatch the coverpanel or doors.
This will still give you enough clearance at the back for your drawers. However, You may not be able to use the strip of wood in the middle if you are doing shelves in your cabinets.

Share |
supershoppertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 07, 11:36 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 150

at the top use the same brackets that you would use to attach the cabinet to the wall. For the bottom do as Narf suggests and find 2 more of those brackets or use simple L-brackets screwed to the bottom of the cabinet and into the cover panel.

You can use regular cover panels or the oven panel, with the oven panel the grain can still be vertical you just have to cut pieces that are 36 wide x 30 tall out of it

Brett

Share |
breed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 07, 12:36 pm  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!

And remember, good adhesive is your friend- Gorilla Glue is a favorite.

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 07, 8:04 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 150

with all the inadverdant shoe kicks the back of an island gets if you have stools up I would think those cover panels would be the most likely to need to be replaced at some point - if you glue that would make that much more difficult. 4 screws into that coverpanel is plenty

Brett

Share |
breed is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
akurum , nbb , nexus