Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jun 1st, 06, 2:49 pm   #1
jasileet
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
Hi there. We're first time home owners here and our first chore was to remodel our tragically disgusting kitchen. We did it hastily and without much research (I wish we had found this site beforehand), but all in all it's quite nice. Nexus Oak and Dark Grey Speckley Praggle(sp?) countertops. All black appliances. Light tan 12x12 floor tile and a mango color up on the walls (okay, so maybe the mango color wasn't the best idea- open to suggestions). But we took down this horrible faux brick thing (completely covered in cooking grease-yuck!) that tore up the wall a bit. We are tired, we are new parents and we need something that looks nice and isn't very difficult/expensive. My DH wants to nail up beadboard and paint it so that it's neat and tidy and not all together permanent. But I think it looks too country for such a modern cabinet choice. Stainless steel was another thought but it's rather pricey and maybe too much for my modest sized kitchen. Any suggestions?

I can post pictures later this evening when DH returns with the camera if that will help. Thanks in advance, guys.

Share |

jasileet is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 1st, 06, 3:11 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 42,994
Gallery: 88
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Stat White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

When I didn't want to fix my wall after pulling stuff down, I went with tin ceiling tiles. They're about $5/sf, easy to put up (we did the whole thing in 3 hours), and no grout. You can see pictures here:

http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=10

They have different finishes and different designs, so you might be able to find something that works with your style. I got them at

http://www.americantinceilings.com/backsplash.html?menu

Kristen

Share |
kisaacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 06, 3:14 pm  
IKEA addict

My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Stat
Stainless steel would look nice, and Ikea has stainless steel backsplashes that aren't too pricey.: http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=70059657
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=50075130

You could also look into tin ceiling tiles. I know that sounds really country, but lots of companies make them in very modern geometric designs, in a variety of finishes.

Share |
jen_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 06, 3:22 pm  
IKEA FAN

Thanks so much for the quick replies!!

The tin looks very spiffy. I love the way it looks in your kitchen! Very warm. But I think maybe the stainless steel might work better in ours, though. Has anyone used this or worked with the stainless steel? Can you cut it easily? How do you install it?

Share |
Old Jun 1st, 06, 3:24 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 90
F/x sheeting is less expensive than stainless but gives you the same look. It'll melt if something hot splatters from the stove, but you can put up a piece of glass just behind the stove.

Share |
chabuchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 06, 5:15 pm  
IKEA FAN

Awesome, but I'm sorry... What is F/X sheeting?

Share |
Old Jun 1st, 06, 8:59 pm  
IKEA holic

It's kind of like a really thick contact paper. People buy it to cover their old appliances to look like stainless. I know I've seen it pretty for pretty cheap on ebay. I wouldn't search for f/x sheeting. I'd probably search for stainless sheet or stainless sheeting.

Share |
chabuchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 06, 11:13 am  
IKEA addict

Doorstyle: Applad/Stat
chabuchie wrote:
Quote:
It's kind of like a really thick contact paper. People buy it to cover their old appliances to look like stainless. I know I've seen it pretty for pretty cheap on ebay. I wouldn't search for f/x sheeting. I'd probably search for stainless sheet or stainless sheeting.
This might not work if the underlying surface is rough. I may be wrong, but I believe even small imperfections show through on these.

Another option is plain white embossed wallpaper that can then be painted over. I've seen a lot of different textures, and one might be just right for the look of your kitchen.

Martine

Share |
ourmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 06, 3:24 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 70
Gallery: 10
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Doorstyle: Adel White
Have you seen Eva's backsplash made out of those glass pebbles people put in vases? Very cool. Here is the thread that talks about it.

http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/view_...amp;forum_id=6

Also, I've seen on some home improvement shows people usingAluminum sheet that look like stainless as a backsplash. You can get rolls of the Aluminum at Home Depot in the roofing section. I don't know how heat resistant it is, but it looks very much like stainless.

I've seen a pretty cool peg board backslash as well, which would be cheap and functional for hanging things you use regulary. Of course not for behind your stove though.

Share |
tudi66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 06, 7:09 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 14,774
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Nexus BB in bathroom

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

When we fixed up our last old house to quickly sell, we took off the old, yucky backsplash tile and the walls were very rough. I sanded as best I could with an electric sander and then I rag painted it, including the entire walls that connected. It didn't show any imperfections at all. Since we sold it the first day on the market and moved soon after, not sure how well it held up for the new owners. But it looked nice. Not sure that would look very contemporary, but perhaps you could think of something that would be and not show the imperfections.

Share |
laurie is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment