Old Mar 27th, 11, 7:49 pm   #1
SAFEman
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 3,218
Gallery: 31
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Nexus
Solid Glass Backsplash

Instead of glass tiles I thought I'd try one solid piece for the whole backsplash. No thin-set, no grout required.
The manufacturer's website shows some great examples.
Dreamwalls Color Glass: Back-painted Glass for residential or commercial applications

Share |

SAFEman is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 31st, 11, 9:54 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 38,081
Gallery: 17
My IKEA: USA-New York:Hicksville
Doorstyle: Abstrakt white, rubrik white
Re: Solid Glass Backsplash

This is a great idea, SAFEman....I've been thinking about doing a non-tile backsplash behind our range, but I couldn't find something to tie in with our glass-and-marble tile backsplash choice. This kind of thing might work, though I imagine it's pretty pricey. I'll have to take a close look at the website, as anything that can be installed without grout and thinset is right up my alley. Please post more info and/or pics if you do this. I'm also getting inspired by your photos - I'm trying to do a cabinet mod for an 18" dishwasher, and may well use your step-by-step guide. I also love the half-wall/counter you built, and the awesome track light fixture above it. Wish I had half the creativity the people on this forum have...you've got a beautiful kitchen, that's for sure!

Share |
corrypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 11, 3:42 pm  
IKEA FAN

I will post some pics of the finished project soon. For now I will estimate that the glass itself cost around $20 / sq. foot. Mine required 3 cut-outs for outlets and light switches at around $25 each. That's cheaper than a lot of tile squares and it doesn't require any thinset, grout, or special skills. If you call the company they will direct you to a local installer who will handle the measurements and installation sort of like most of the granite companies do. I did a self install so I didn't have to pay for labor, but had to pay a premium for shipping directly to me. They allowed that because I have a small home company. Not sure if they will do it for everyone. OK now the best part - it turned out beautiful! If you have a contemporary kitchen with clean lines it will work. I have a very busy style of black and grey granite that really stands out with the black base cabinets so I didn't want the wall to compete with that. Its very subtle. Its also very easy to clean. I could have probably gotten away with one in red, which would be very cool.

Share |
Old Apr 4th, 11, 1:07 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 38,081
Gallery: 17
My IKEA: USA-New York:Hicksville
Doorstyle: Abstrakt white, rubrik white

Sounds lovely, SAFEman - I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the finished backsplash as soon as you can post some. And thanks for the additional info on pricing, too!

Share |
corrypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 11, 7:45 pm  
IKEA FAN

Share |

Last edited by SAFEman; Apr 5th, 11 at 7:50 pm..
Old Apr 5th, 11, 7:48 pm  
IKEA FAN

corrypaw, the manufacturer's website has much better pictures than I can do. Visit their "Gallery" and slide down to the backsplash pics. Mine is "true white" like the example below. I haven't installed any under-cabinet lighting yet so my photos look kind of bland.
True White Backsplash

Share |
Old Jun 2nd, 11, 9:27 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 4,194
Gallery: 0

I'm getting this in my kitchen! They're doing three pieces and they will be siliconed in the seams. Mine's laminated tempered glass and the wall behind it is painted palladian blue which should show quite a bit. I'm super excited and will post pics when done.

Share |
lonegunwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 11, 7:25 pm  
IKEA FAN

Great! Please post some pictures when you get a chance.

Share |
Old Jun 20th, 11, 8:20 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,058
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: USA-Houston

I love this look and want it just for the area behind my cook top since I have too much backsplash area to do it everywhere. I was thinking of buying rubrik doors sine they are tempered glass and finding a way to affix those to the wall. The doors do use tempered glass, other than the logistics of attaching (which I'm open to suggestions on) can anyone think of a problem with this? It's significantly cheaper than getting it custom done and fortunately it looks like the diminsions would work with the area I have.
Posted via Mobile Device

Share |
Barrelgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 11, 10:00 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 4,194
Gallery: 0

wow barrelgal, what a great idea, so creative! I can't think of an issue with this and think it'd look awesome!

So my backsplash went in the other day, here's a pic . (I still need to get my stainless 'decor strips' to hide the lights, and there are stainless panels going on the sides of the cabinets next to the stove)

Share |
lonegunwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment