No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old May 10th, 12, 12:28 pm   #1
mtpaper
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,203
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Elizabeth
Glass Backsplash questions

Just in the starting stages and have questions about the one-piece glass backsplashes I'm seeing.

1. Am I right that some folks are putting clear glass on a painted wall and other folks are getting back-painted glass? What are the pros and cons of each method?

2. For folks who have painted the wall, and used clear glass..... is it reasonable to think that you'd be able to take the glass off, and repaint the wall? If so, it seems like a fun way to change the mood of the kitchen thru the years....

3. Any stories of the glass breaking? like if it's behind the stove, and you bump the glass with a big, full, heavy pasta pot?

4. If you've done a glass backsplash.... are they easy to clean or not? I'm looking for kitchen elements that are VERY easy to keep clean, fresh and maintain.

thanks

Share |

mtpaper is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old May 29th, 12, 7:55 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 237
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Calgary
Re: Glass Backsplash questions

We have a custom glass back splash made to fit along our counter top. I would highly recommend this. Our backsplash was heated to create texture and then painted on the back side. I'm counting about 10 peices in all that are cut to fit.

Share |
2spill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 12, 6:37 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 181,285
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Orlando
Doorstyle: Ramsjo BB

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I read a few tips about glass backspashes the other day - and if I could remember where, I'd give appropriate credit. Could have been House Beautiful...

The article said that putting glass over a painted wall will not give the same smooth effect that backpainting the glass produces, because even something like smooth drywall has enough of a granular texture to produce speckles and shadows. They also suggested that regular glass is fine for most of the backsplash, but that paying extra for tempered glass behind the cooktop was advisable.

As far as cleaning? It's probably easy to clean, but might need to be wiped off and buffed fairly often to maintain that smooth perfection. As much as I admire the look of those backsplashes, I know I'm not a good candidate for them. I can't even keep my reading glasses smudge-free.

Share |
personalshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 12, 6:41 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,203
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Elizabeth

yes, it is making more sense to me to use back-painted glass, rather than painting the wall. I was hoping I'd be able to paint the wall so I could swap out the color if I got bored with it.

Interesting idea to use tempered behind the stove, and non-tempered elsewhere.... would they appear the same or different?

My husband is very concerned that, if we do a glass backsplash straight down to the countertop ( ie , without having the counter top go vertically up the wall for a few inches as a 'stopper') we're going to push a pot against the glass backspash and break it....

I think it depends on the thickness of the glass....

Has anyone heard horror stories of the glass back-splash breaking?

Share |
mtpaper is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment