Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Dec 12th, 10, 8:20 am   #1
sue_101886
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 733
Gallery: 0
Godmorgon cabinets - any positive reviews?

Hello all!
I'm building a new home and want to use the Godmorgon cabinets in two bathrooms, one of 55" and the other 47". I have a couple of questions and would really like some input from people who are happy with their cabinets. When searching the Web for reviews, it's easy to find bad reviews because people who had trouble are looking for fixes (which makes sense). But I suspect that there are a lot of people who are happy with this series (I mean, IKEA provides a 10 year guarantee, so they can't be crap quality!), and I'd like to hear from them!

So here are my questions!

1) How long have you had your cabinets, and are you generally happy with them?

2) In a high-humidity area (it is a bathroom after all!), would you think the high-gloss cabinets or the oak/birch veneer ones would hold up better? When I saw the samples at the store, it appeared that the wood veneer ones were veneer over particle board but the high gloss ones looked like "whatever the high-gloss material is" over MDF (medium density fiberboard). So, is there a difference in how well these two hold up? I was a bit dissapointed when I saw the oak veneer one. I really wanted that colour scheme in my bathroom, but it looked a bit cheap-ish. The high-gloss finishes look more high-quality (simply a perception on the aesthetics), but I don't know if I want grey in my master bathroom. (don't want the white).

3) For those with high-gloss grey finish: Do fingerprints show a lot on this finish?

4) What would be a high quality sink: a ceramic one (Odensvik) or the poly/crushed marble (Braviken/Norrviken) one. I really like the poly/crushed marble, but hubby thinks it will stain or yellow. I'd like to prove him wrong, if possible. :-)

5) If you are in North America ( Canada specifically), did the plumbing work out all right, or was this a major pain? I know nothing about plumbing, but I read somewhere, to paraphrase "horizontal section accumulates hair, soap scum, etc. and be above the trap, so therefore can start to smell. There's a reason why the standard p-trap is directly under the drain."
Is this really a valid problem? Has anyone had this type of trouble?

Thanks very much in advance.
If I go with this series, I'll be sure to post pics when it's done.
Oh, and I LURVE IKEA. I probably have many more trips to the IKEA before I move in, but that's ok, it means many more Swedish-meatball lunch for me.

Sue

Share |

sue_101886 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Dec 16th, 10, 10:39 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 2,721
Gallery: 20
Re: Godmorgon cabinets - any positive reviews?

I hope to have a 39" Godmorgon install this spring with the ceramic sink.

Have a Godmorgon wall cabinet and it works great. Not as good a quality as the Freden series which are solid pine made in Poland.

Share |
telemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 10, 8:50 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 921
My IKEA: USA-Dallas:Frisco

I have a brand new 39" birch Godmorgon two-drawer cabinet that I no longer need. I will probably put it up for sale within the next few days. Please let me know if you are interested. From my experience, the drawers are very roomy and run very smoothly.

Share |
pharmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 11, 7:09 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 450
Gallery: 10
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Adel Birch

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

Checking in after a long absence. We have a 2 year old white godmorgen 4 drawer that has been fantastic. No complaints whatsoever. You can cram a LOT of stuff in those 4 drawers. We keep bath towels in 1, a costco sized pack of TP in another, etc.

The sink... I forget the name, the one that goes with it-- the sink iteslf is good, though it's flat bottomed and toothpaste and other crud can build up if you don't rinse it after use.

The one complaint we've had is that our stopper is really tight and if you put it down, you basically need pliers to get it back up again. So, I never shut it.

Share |
kirsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 11, 3:46 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 121
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Question Re: Godmorgon cabinets - any positive reviews?

hi Sue, I have the same questions and are in a similar situation.
I would like to know if you have done more research and heard back from other sources.

Your questions are asked with specific details, I couldn't have framed them better myself. Please share all the information you have gathered so far.

Many thanks.

Share |
winifredxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 13, 8:11 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 733

Hello!
I just wanted to check in here. It is now 2 years since we have installed the IKEA Godmorgon cabinets (high cabinets as well as the vanity), and so far so good!
They are a very nice quality. The white gloss cabinets still look as great as the day we installed them - no problems at all, plumbing or otherwise. Overall a very cost-effective purchase!

Share |
sue_101886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 13, 3:22 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 26,974
Gallery: 28
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
I've been blogged!

We have the white high gloss vanity with braviken sinks for almost 3 years now. They look and work as if installed yesterday. The drawers work very smoothly and the self close is VERY nice.

@ Kirsty: Re: Tight stopper, the O-ring used is a bit too thick. Replace the original O-ring with a thinner version from the Hardware store, that has the same or similar inner diameter. Done.
Alternatively, you can do what I did:
We don't need a perfectly watertight seal as we're not using the sinks to hold water, so I just pulled both stoppers out (turning them while pulling,helps) and then proceeded to carefully shave off a very, very thin slice (all around) the O-rings. The stoppers work fine now.

Share |

Comment