Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jan 27th, 11, 12:12 pm   #1
stokes
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,574
Gallery: 0
Question Odensvik sink drain assembly will not meet code in US. Help?

I just built a new house and have installed the Godmorgon double cab with a Odensvik double sink. My plumber is stumped because the drain assembly provided does not meet code - we must pass final inspection with the City of Austin. The problem is with the overflow connectors.

Has anyone successfully solved the problem with this sink? Ikea won't sell drain assemblies separately (the one that came with the Lillangen sink would work!).

Share |

stokes is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 1st, 11, 11:09 am  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 49,724
Gallery: 1
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: APPLAD/RUBRIK WHITE
Re: Odensvik sink drain assembly will not meet code in US. Help?

i'm bumping this. hoping someone can answer before inspection.

Share |
karen.j.cosme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 11, 10:07 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 3,058

What is the problem with the overflow connectors? Most people think the problem with the plumbing is the funky turns the drain takes just after the hole in the sink and the piping to the p-trap. I never heard anything about the overflow being somehow a problem...

Share |
cthenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 11, 1:33 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 94
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto

Any update to this post? We're trying to install the drain also and have come across some problems Im sure you are aware of. We'd prefer to DIY ... hoping not to need a plumber!

Share |
missyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 11, 5:40 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 26,974
Gallery: 28
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
I've been blogged!

stokes, karen,

It would help, if you would let us know what exactly the code violation would be with the sink overflows.
IMHO , plumbers who encounter plumbing fixtures that they're not familiar with, will almost always pronounce that the part in question will violate local building code, or that the product will fail to perform.
Plus, building inspectors all over the country fail to see so many code violations that really do put the home owner at risk, that I wouldn't worry too much about the inspection, due to Ikea's creative plumbing solutions. Most likely, the inspector will never notice the overflow set up.

Pippa

Share |
Old Jul 4th, 11, 4:17 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 245

I too am having a problem with the overflow drain on three odensvik sinks. The drain piece supplied does not seal because it is inside the overflow tube instead of on the outside and it leaks water into the drawers. Not good. I have tried to find another hose to fit but have not found anything so far. I have also thought about finding a plug for the overflow as many of the vessel sinks do not even have overflows. Perhaps someone has found a solution.

yorkwill

Share |

Last edited by yorkwill; Jul 4th, 11 at 4:24 pm.. Reason: clarification
yorkwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 11, 10:58 pm  
IKEA FANatic

I've been blogged!

Yorkwill,

Re: overflow leaking:
The water that leaks into your drawer is NOT from inside the overflow, but from the gap between the decorative trim and the sink.
All you need to do, is to loosen the overflow, or remove it all together, and then put a bead of 100% pure silicone around the underside of the decorative rim that will touch the sink. Screw back in, wipe off the excess silicone, Let cure for 24 hours before using sink. Voila, no more leaking.
This will work for all Godmorgon sinks, and they all need the silicone added to be leak free.
I do think that Ikea is negligent by not including this step in their directions.

Good luck!

Share |

Last edited by Pippa; Jul 4th, 11 at 11:02 pm..
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 12, 2:52 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 192
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Costa Mesa
Question Re: Odensvik sink drain assembly will not meet code in US. Help?

Having the same problem with the two sink system at my condo in Los Angeles.

Problem is that the 2 sinks connect to one drain in the scenario provided by Ikea. It's an older building so the plumber is saying that the system will back up and that he won't guarantee the work.

The local Ikea store has no information about plumbing the sinks with 2 drains.

HELP!

Share |
samo102us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 12, 5:09 pm  
IKEA FANatic

I've been blogged!

I think you or your "plumber" are mixing up different issues that have nothing to do with each other.

All double sinks eventually drain into the same drain. In Ikea's system, the 2 sinks share one trap which is perfectly acceptable and has no negative consequences. In fact I recently watched a "This Old House" show, where DeSilva adds a second sink to a vanity and shows a home owner how to build an exact same drain system from scratch with pipes from the hardware store.

The issue with sewer back up does not relate in any way to one trap versus two.

Maybe you should hire a plumber who manages to explain things clearly to you.

Share |
Old Jun 26th, 12, 5:50 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 192
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Costa Mesa
Question Re: Odensvik sink drain assembly will not meet code in US. Help?

Pippa,

Casting aspersions on my contractractor is unhelpful.

Let me restate - I have 2 drains in my bathroom from the previous double sink arrangement. I want to follow the same approach with my new Ikea set-up.

Do you have an option?

Share |
samo102us is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
code , drain , inspection , odensvik , problem , sink