No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jun 6th, 12, 10:52 am   #1
LindsayO
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 6,095
Gallery: 10
Wetroom: Best Ikea Cabinets etc

Hello lovely bathroom people, I'm planning a new bathroom
It is being turned into a wetroom or curbless shower room.
I've attached an image with the old and new layouts superimposed. The red is the old. The blue is the new. I'm doing this because I am a sometimes wheelchair user, heading towards being a fulltime wheelchair user. The layout is all set, but I need to choose an over sink mirror and/or cabinet, a toilet roll holder, shelving by the shower, plus I want a small shelf or hanging rail by the toilet for essential wheelchair user accessories.

I love the molger range, but worry that the birch would not stand up to the constant wetting it would get in a wetroom.

It is a small room and if I am showering in a wheelchair, the last thing I want to worry about is trying to contain the water to preserve my bathroom cabinet. So I am wondering if anyone knows how water resistant the molger line is.

If I don't go with the molger I am thinking of something in stainless steel like the Saltskar cabinet or the grundtal, so I guess my question there is whether they really are good quality stainless that doesn't rust?

Finally I am not sure how to position the mirror since sometimes I will be standing, somtimes sitting, so I am thinking of getting the frack mirror the one that extends, and wondered how sturdy they are, whether they stand up to use or if they fall apart after a few months.

Thanks in advance, any and all advise and comments gratefully received. I am redoing my kitchen, bathroom and tiny front garden, and I am feeling more than a little overwhelmed
Click for larger version
Wetroom: Best Ikea Cabinets etc 

Share |

Last edited by LindsayO; Jun 6th, 12 at 10:59 am..
LindsayO is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 7th, 12, 11:50 am  
Administrator

iKarma: 219,389
Gallery: 1457
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 3

Re: Wetroom: Best Ikea Cabinets etc

We're in the process of redoing a bathroom as well so I've been looking at all sorts of things.

I would probably go with the stainless if you are concerned about longevity in a wet room. Stainless won't rust, so you should be safe assuming you caulk and seal all the edges so that water can't get to the particleboard underneath. A cabinet on metal legs would be ideal, no?

AS for the mirror - how about putting a large mirror cut to size by a local shop to fit that wall behind the door opposite the sink? That would eliminate the up/down issue and make the mirror accessible to you no matter your situation.

Susan

Share |

Comment

Tags
bathroom , bathroom cabinet , frack , molger