No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Apr 2nd, 08, 1:26 pm   #1
cherrib
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Cincinnati:West Chester
Box Springs & Malm Bed

About 6 months ago we bought a springs/mattress set. It is like sleeping in clouds. Now, we are looking for a bed to use with our fabulous springs/mattress. I'm wondering if we can use the box springs with a Malm bed?

Thanks!!

Share |

cherrib is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Apr 2nd, 08, 2:53 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
Gallery: 3
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch/Avsikt
Re: Box Springs & Malm Bed

"Technically" you can. We used our box spring and matress on our Malm bed for a few months when we first bought the bed. It seemed a little high in proportion to the overall look of the bed as the top of the matress came only a few inches below the top of the head board.

We wanted a new matress set anyway and what we ended up doing was getting a tempurpedic matress set with a "low profile" box base. It's about 3 or so inches lower than our old box spring and matress was on the Malm frame.

The other alternative is to buy a set of the slats and use only your matress - but it sounds like you love the set you've got.

Our Malm bed with low profile base and tempurpedic matress can be seen on our website, back in the July and August 2007 archives at Yahoo!

If you want, measure the height from the bottom of your box to the top of your matress, and I'll measure mine so you can compare with my picture. (The box spring does sit down inside the bed frame quite a bit on a lip designed into both side rails, so it's not like a true platform bed where the whole of both matress and box spring are exposed).

Share |
knutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 08, 4:01 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 361
Gallery: 50
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Adel medium brown

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

we also have a queen-size MALM bed. we used to just use our mattress on the slats, but then moved and had no where to store our box. so we removed the slats and rails, and have set the box inside the bed with the mattress over that (of course you can see the box). while this doesn't look quite as "clean" it works for us and our storage issue.

Share |
illbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 08, 4:35 pm  
IKEA FAN

You are sooooo nice to reply to quickly! Thank you!!

We have a Spring Air Oasis pillow-top mattress set we bought at JCPenney. It is the most comfortable night's sleep I have ever had. Previously, we had a waterbed. So, we bought one of those cheap metal frames to use until we found a bed we like. The springs are 9" high and the mattress is 14" high. It stands pretty tall as is (our fat cat can't quite reach it). We're not sure what to do because we don't want to lose our comfort from the mattress.

Share |
cherrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 08, 9:41 pm  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown

so the box mattress will go through the hole and touch the floor where u can see it?? do u have a pic ? and how many boxes does the malm bed come in because online it says 4 but when i went to the ikea it had 1 2 3 am i missing something here, i dont' want the mattress just the frame.

Share |
dgcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 08, 12:00 am  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 233,629
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

Welcome, DG.

The on-line information is incorrect and misleading (surprise!). The bed frame itself (a single article number) comes in 3 boxes - one for the head board, one for the foot board (which will also contain the assembly hardware package), and one for the side rails (which will also contain the "L" rails and cross braces). The boxes for the h /b and f/b will be approximately the sizes of those two pieces; the 3rd box will be about 5" x 5" x 76". The mid-beam and bed slats are different articles , and would each be a separate package.

If you want "just" the frame , you will end up with the first 3 boxes I described.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 08, 12:04 am  
IKEA FAN

thanks chuck.. and to clear this up do u know if my box spring will be touching the floor and seeing it from the side?

Share |
Old Apr 4th, 08, 6:26 am  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 233,629
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

That depends on whether you use the "L" rails - it will if you don't use the rails, and it won't if you do use the rails (got that?). But if you don't want the box spring to rest on the floor, you should get the mid-beam also, for some extra support.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 08, 8:51 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
Gallery: 3
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch/Avsikt

Yes, the side rails form Ls to the inside, so the bottom horizontal leg of the L on each side will hold your box spring up off the floor. Definitely get the mid-beam for support - I forget what the name of the mid-beam is, but you can probably find it on the tag of the Malm bed in the store.

Share |
knutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 08, 11:05 am  
IKEA FAN

Ok so i need the 1 2 3 box for the bed frame i need to purchase a midbeam so i ca put my box spring and queen mattress correct and i am all set right???

anothing thing what do u guys think about this set up i use paint to play around with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bed2.JPG (23.6 KB, 256 views)

Share |

Comment

Tags
ikea , malm