LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Apr 28th, 08, 7:11 am   #1
Cx30
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: United Kingdom-London:Edmonton
Bed slats keep falling off - what should I do?

Praise the Lord for this forum!! I was woken at 5:45am this morning after crashing to the friggin floor cos of these **** slats!!!

Whose stupid idea was it to have 2 rows of slats for a huge double bed which just slide of the metal they're resting on!

My landlord bought me this bed at the beginning of the year but my friend and I only put it together last week so it's not as if we can take the slates back.

I'm so annoyed right now! Being woken by crashing wood is no joke at 2,3,4 or 5am!

I dunno what to do ...help!.

This is the bed I have:

IKEA | Beds | Double bed frames | ASPELUND | Bed frame

Would an all in one slat fit it better and if so, which one should I buy? I just want an uninterrupted nights sleep!!

Share |

Cx30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Apr 28th, 08, 7:57 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 233,463
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: Bed slats keep falling off - what should I do?

The slats shouldn't be sliding off - either they are the wrong size, or the bed was assembled incorrectly.

When you install the slats, they should be rolled out from one end to the other, with the first and last slat "hooking onto" the small plastic piece at either end of the "L" rail and mid-beam. This will be tight in the beginning, but over a short period of time, the cloth webbing will stretch out enough to allow the slats to sit flat and properly.

There are also metal cross braces which should be installed between the mid-beam and "L" rail, to keep the sides of the bed from bowing out and allowing the slats to fall through.

When all of this is done properly, you shouldn't have any more problems. If you do, you might consider using a piece of plywood instead of the slats.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 08, 9:47 pm  
IKEA FAN

Yep everything you described I've done

Tomorrow when I get in from work, I'm gonna post pictures so you can see exactly what it looks like at the mo.

The cloth webbing has started to stretch out already. When the slats have collapsed, they've bent one of the metal cross braces as my weights been directly on it. I've then had to bend it back into shape.

Fingers crossed it doesn't friggin collapse when I get back into bed in a sec.

Share |
Old Apr 29th, 08, 7:18 pm  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Bolingbrook

there is was about 1/2 inch gap between the 2 slates. i simply purchased a 1/2" x 8' wood thing from home depot, cut to length, and put it in the space between the slates. (the wood from home depot rests on the metal thing in the middle, and it's a tight fit so we never ended having problems with it ever since.

Share |
dooododoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 08, 8:14 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 233,463
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

Good solution, Doo.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 08, 3:25 am  
IKEA FAN

Thanks for that solution..I'm terrible at D.I.Y though so I can't see myself going out buying wood and cutting it to size...I wouldn't have a clue where to start/get equipment.

I forgot to to take pics of the bed last night, will do it this evening. I'm on my way to work.

Thank you :-)

Share |
Old Apr 30th, 08, 11:32 am  
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 84,382
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

You could probably get them to cut the wood to size on their panel saw at HD/Lowes...

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Tigratrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 08, 12:14 pm  
IKEA FAN

HD/Lowes? I don't think they're in London.

Share |
Old Apr 30th, 08, 1:11 pm  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Bolingbrook

you can cut it with a plain old handsaw. i neglected to mention that it's 1/2" SQUARED by a length of your choice. i'll take a picture of my set up and post later.

Share |
dooododoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 08, 1:45 pm  
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 84,382
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cx30 View Post
HD/Lowes? I don't think they're in London.
Doh!
::forehead smack::

Sorry about that, wasn't paying attention to your location.

Mea Culpa...

Thanks Doo, a picture would be wonderful!

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Tigratrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment