No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Feb 22nd, 09, 6:42 pm   #1
Mzzlizzie
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Using 2x4 Expedit Bookcase as headboard

I want to turn a 2x4 Expedit bookcase on its side to use as a headboard for queen bed. The bed is higher than most beds so I need to raise the bookshelf and thought about using thick bricks to set the bookcase on. Anyone ever use the bookcase as a headboard? Any other ideas on what I could do to raise the bookcase so I'd have a shelf right above the top mattress?

What a great place this is! So many great ideas!

Thanks

Share |

Mzzlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 22nd, 09, 9:41 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 504
My IKEA: USA-Detroit:Canton
Re: Using 2x4 Expedit Bookcase as headboard

an easier way I can think of is to just use the 4x4 unit and bump the bed up to it.

were you thinking cinder blocks? I guess it wouldnt look too bad as long as you painted the blocks or something..

Share |
bc008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 09, 10:35 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 6,605
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-Round Rock

I was thinking about raising my Malm bed so I could put storage boxes under it, and for that I was planning to use cedar 4x4s routed to hold the headboard and footboard so it wouldn't slide off. I ended up finding another storage option, so I didn't do that, but maybe the solution would work under your bookcase, too. One caveat: if you have pets, rough sawn cedar snags pet hair like mad and is difficult to clean - but cedar is easy to sand smooth and takes paint and stain well. It's still fairly easy to find an attractive piece with few or no knots.

Share |
Keter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 09, 11:28 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton

I had wanted to use the 4x4 Expedit, but it's not showing as available any more on the Ikea website. I think I'll use the cinder blocks and just push the bed up next to it. I'm not to handy with tools so I'm looking for an easy solution! Thanks to both of you for responding.

Share |
Mzzlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
expedit , headboard