LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Sep 20th, 09, 11:16 pm   #1
ikeafannynj
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 347
Gallery: 0
Difference in Bed Slats for Malm Bed?

I read through a bunch of threads, but couldn't find any concrete information on the difference between the different bed slats Ikea offers. I'm planning on buying the IKEA Malm Double/Full bed frame but have no idea what slats to purchase.

Specifically, what is the difference between the Sultan Lade, Liared, and Luroy? The Liared/Luray seem curved -- I read a few posts saying that these might be noisy....can someone please confirm?

Thanks for your help -- it's much appreciated!

Share |

ikeafannynj is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Sep 20th, 09, 11:44 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 233,980
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: Difference in Bed Slats for Malm Bed?

Welcome to IKEAFANS, ikeafannynj.

The Lade slats are flat, solid wood, strung together with a webbed ribbon on the sides.

The Luroy slats are laminated (layered) wood, with a curve, strung together with a webbed ribbon on the sides like the Lade.

The Liared take the Luroy slats (curved, laminated) and use an extruded rubber like band, made up of a series of attached cups that slide over the ends of the slats, to keep them together.

I don't know anything about the noise factor of the first two, but don't think there'd be much noise from the Liared.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 09, 11:56 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 347
Thanks for the quick reply. Is there an advantage to the curvedness
of the luroy/liared to the lade? Also, what benefit do the rubber ends to the liared offer in comparison to the luroy?

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Welcome to IKEAFANS, ikeafannynj.

The Lade slats are flat, solid wood, strung together with a webbed ribbon on the sides.

The Luroy slats are laminated (layered) wood, with a curve, strung together with a webbed ribbon on the sides like the Lade.

The Liared take the Luroy slats (curved, laminated) and use an extruded rubber like band, made up of a series of attached cups that slide over the ends of the slats, to keep them together.

I don't know anything about the noise factor of the first two, but don't think there'd be much noise from the Liared.
Posted via Mobile Device

Share |
ikeafannynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 09, 6:55 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 85,031
Gallery: 49
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: Adel Birch (kitchen); Applad White (office); Liljestad??(wallbed)

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

The plain flat slats (Lade) won't really offer much in the way of comfort. They'll just keep the mattress up. They're more likely to crack over time (because of the non-flexible nature)

The curved slats flex, and will respond more to your movements. They're not *rigid* - unyielding - but they're not really bendy, either. They flex. The bent ones are made of plywood, which should better resist cracking over time.

The difference with the rubber cups on the Liared edges I think is to add some security. The ribbon connecting the Luroy ones is just stapled onto their underside.

Share |
RubrikGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 09, 10:46 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!

I've never run into a problem with the Lade slats cracking, though they are rather inflexible.

A bigger problem with them and the Luroy slats is the ribbon - each slat is held in place with a single staple, and if the ribbon becomes dislodged from a slat, that sklat could "wander" and eventually fall.

The extruded band on the Liared is a better way of keeping the slats spaced and in their place, and at the same time adding a sort of noise dampening system, so that there's no squeaking between the wood slats and metal "L" flange.

Share |
Old Sep 22nd, 09, 11:33 pm  

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

I don't think the Lade slats will crack if you just sleep; but if you JUMP on the bed (as shorter members of the nearly-human race have been known to do) some cracking may occur.

and yeah, you're paying an upcharge for the nice rubber caps and connector. Much nicer than the simple ribbon + staple system. (It's not a particularly thick or strong ribbon, either)

Share |
Old Sep 23rd, 09, 7:57 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

With some of the beds, the long "L" flange is more likely to get ripped out of the bedsides from the kids (we were talking kids, right RG? - not vertically challenged adults who should know better) jumping on it than the slats breaking. The kids shouldn't be jumping on the bed in the first place, but kids are kids.

The rubber caps are nice because they double as a better way to maintain the distance between the slats and at the same time adding some sound deadening properties to the system.

The ribbon itself isn't too bad - it's some sort of woven man-made material that is pretty sturdy when left alone. The bigger problem comes from either the ribbon ripping through the staples and separating from the slats, or people cutting the ribbon because they think they're supposed to once the slats are in place (as in, the ribbons there just for shipping and installation purposes, and no longer needed once the slats are down. Oy! Yeah, I see it all - SIGHHHH!)

Share |
Old Sep 23rd, 09, 11:46 pm  

LBG Adoptions

ooh... seriously... *cutting* the ribbon?

wow.

Plus... Just think of how much time it would take! ;^)

Share |
Old Sep 24th, 09, 6:32 am  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Yup, seriously - like they're opening a new building or something.

Share |
Old Mar 18th, 10, 12:09 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 217
Sturdiness of the MALM Bed??

I am about to purchase the MALM King Size bed with some furniture accessories but I need everyone's honest opinion on whether or not it's a sturdy bed????

Not to get to personal but my significant other and I are pretty active and we want to make this bed will be able to holds it own.

Share |
LMalachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment