No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Mar 22nd, 10, 12:45 pm   #1
samikea
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 300
Gallery: 0
Thumbs down Hemnes Bed Squeaking

Hello
I have purchased a Hemnes king size bed last month. Over time it has started squeaking really bad. It squeaks when you sit on it, when you change positions, when you get up...It is driving me crazy...
I have tightened the four screws that holds the head board, foot board and side rails together, but does not help.
I have noticed that one of the side rails did not have a wooden dowel hole to put in the second wood dowel (is this intentional or a manufacturing mistake).
Also some people advice to put rubber pieces between the wood joints, will that help?
Please respond with any suggestions you have, i will really appreciate..
Thanks a lot.
Sam

Share |

samikea is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 23rd, 10, 1:27 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 255
Lightbulb Re: Hemnes Bed Squeaking

I have a Hemnes 4 poster full size bed and so far it doesn't squeek. I previously had an Ikea king european size pine bed frame I purchased around 1990 when IKEA first opened in the U.S. and it began squeeking so I purchased rubber washers and put them at each end of the bolts that had contact with the wood and it worked. If the slats are squeeking you could simply put an old blanket between the wood and what it rests on. Annoying I know !

Share |
IKEAGEEEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 10, 11:11 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 233,980
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: Hemnes Bed Squeaking

Welcome to IKEAFANS, both of you.

The squeaking comes from the wooden slats rubbing on he metal "L" flanges. If you put something between those two materials, this should alleviate the noise. Geeek's rubber washers worked for him; cardboard, cloth or paper would probably work, too.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 11, 1:15 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 106
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton

It's not the wood slats and L shaped metal bracket that make the squeaking. Wood is too soft to make that noise. The problem is that the small screws that tie in the thin metal rods (that create an X across your frame, under the wood slates) are loose. Tighten them with a screw driver and it will be perfect. The noise is coming from the small screws rubbing up against their connection. Metal on metal.

This was SUPER annoying btw . Lived with it for a month before I finally caved in and investigated.

Share |
keimbridg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 11, 10:42 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 194,817
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: Cyprus-Verginas
I've been blogged!

Hi

There could be a number of reasons why the bed is making noises, but I have not encountered cross braces coming loose before.

The thing that bothers me though is you say that the braces make an X across the frame. Unless it is a very old bed the cross braces actually make a diamond shape. If yours is an X that may be part of the problem.

Share |
bigredbird is online now   Reply With Quote

Comment