No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jun 24th, 08, 2:00 am   #1
lanb
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 70
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
IKEA AS-IS item disclosure

I saw some IKEA OTR microwave in the as-is dept. yesterday.
The as-is label said "in box" and there was no mention of any problems.
I asked an associate about any issues with the item and he said there
was none with that particular one.
They also had a couple more in other boxes with notes of "missing mounting hardware".

All boxes were resealed and there was a "Do not open" sign written on them.

I bought the one that said "in box" and when i opened it up at home, I found that a corner of the microwave
had been smashed (as if someone had dropped it) and the microwave was packed upside down in the box.

I fully understand the meaning of "As-is" but given that the label and the associate indicated
there were no issues, I was peeved at the damage.

I went back to the store and asked for a store credit or exchange
with another one in the as-is dept. The store manager and csr said that
they can't do anything since it was as-is. They told me that i should have opened and looked at the item in the store.

I pointed them to the "Do not open box" lettering and they said it does not
matter, i should still open it up. Moreover the csr who told me yesterday that all was good,
still claimed all was good when he packed it up and that
the damage could have happened while it was in the as-is dept.

I find that hard to believe, since the microwave was packed upside down
to hide the damage.

While I understand the risk of buying as-is, I am upset that the store is trying to deceptively pass off seriously
damaged goods without an oppurtunity for inspection or recourse for the customer.

What do you guys think ? Is this the general IKEA policy ?

Share |

lanb is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 24th, 08, 9:57 am  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,751
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Re: IKEA AS-IS item disclosure

omg , that is an extreme one. and a bad one, imo . i'm with you on this one, especially since there were other boxes there. the sign vs policy thing would highly upset me.

i don't think you're being unreasonable, you understand the policy but followed directions. i'd write a letter to the gm, and hope that they'll see that the letter and spirit of the law sometimes differ.

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 08, 10:00 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: USA-New York:Elizabeth

Hi Lanb-- I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience with the AS-IS room. In my local Ikeas, the policy of the as-is room is posted pretty clearly, so if the same is true in your Ikea, then they are within their rights to reject your request to return the product. Given that, I rarely buy electrical products, and only do so when I can test them. I probably would have opened the box, knowing that once I bought it would be mine, despite the wording (was it hand-lettered?)

That being said, it really does seem as though there was a conscience attempt to deceive, and you--being a responsible "directions-following" individual essentially got tricked. Have you contacted a consumer advocate at a radio or tv station? Told the store manager that you're planning to? Good luck.

Share |
Minmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 08, 10:08 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 32,550
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

that is just completely wrong. I'm p.'d o. just reading it! At the very least, they should have offered to give you one of the others that was there in exchange.
I can't believe that someone would purposely lie about what was inside the box...twice! Why does that person care if it sells or not?
Was it a super good deal or just a small-ish discount? I've noticed that you can usually tell if something is damaged, etc. just by the price. Items that are in like-new condition with nothing wrong are usually only 20 or 25% discount whereas the broken/missing, etc. etc stuff is 50%+, at least at the TC store.

Share |
Old Jun 24th, 08, 11:21 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 70
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton

It was at 50% discount. All the three boxes were at the same price.

I am thinking of writing an email instead of calling as this would have
a better chance of response.

Anyone know of their corporate customer service dept. (not the first level CS)
or GM's ( seattle ) email address ??

And yes, the "Do not open" was hand lettered

Share |
lanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 08, 9:39 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 32,550
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Well, based on what you have described, I still think the deck was unfairly stacked against you and that you have every right to want to pursue resolution. The idea that things are sold as-is, no returns combined with "do not open" is absurd unless the condition of whatever is inside the box is described.
On IKEA's behalf, maybe it was returned that way and they really didn't know it was damaged. (I'm sure this happens all the time with returns because sometimes you'd have to assemble the entire thing to know and I'm certain they don't do that for every item.) Hence, the huge discount and in their mind they are just (fairly) enforcing the standard policy.

I also think that expecting to get a perfect appliance for half price is a little unreasonable, too, meaning that deep a discount would have been my red flag.

I'd probably chalk it up to lesson learned. The fact that it is next to impossible to get rid of microwaves would be my biggest annoyance.

Share |
Old Jun 24th, 09, 3:46 pm  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto

Hi I am a student who went to IKEA's as is section for a deal on a couch. The tag said "ripped underside". What it did not say was the cause of the ripped underside. Turns out that there was a major structural defect in the middle of the couch that when sat on it would rip through the underside. Basically IKEA was selling me trash but telling me it was just scuffed. I first noticed this problem about a week later when the middle of the couch started to droop. After flipping it over I saw the crack in the main beam clear as day. My roommates and I weigh about 160 pounds each and usually its just one of us sitting on the couch. I called IKEA and they said that there is nothing they can do once I leave the store. This seems like a pretty clear case of deceptive selling practices to me. They said theyd get a manager from the store to call me back. If that doesnt resolve it I think I should talk to news agencies and legal counsel. Thoughts suggestions?

Share |
jchun89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 09, 5:40 pm  
IKEA FANatic

My IKEA: USA-New York:Elizabeth

Hi Jchun--

I'm sorry that you got a really bad deal with the IKEA couch. I hope that the price was really really good. While I am really sorry you had a bad experience with the couch, in this instance, I'm not sure that Ikea is deliberately at fault in this instance, unlike what I said in an earlier post about another item. I'm sure the couch wasn't in a box. Could you have looked into the guts of the couch and seen the crack? Perhaps the crack wasn't fully formed when you bought it. My advice in the past has been to check carefully and any place (not just Ikea) where returns are disallowed, be absolutely certain that you want the product and that it's in great shape. But I really am sorry you were disappointed.

Share |
Minmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 09, 6:27 pm  
ted
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 105,534
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

Jchun,

Maybe you can screw (and glue) a 2 x 4
to your cracked beam to provide support?

Ted

Share |
ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 09, 6:33 pm  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto

Thanks for the advice guys. It was an ok deal.. like 25% off 400 So I went down to the hardware store today and bought an L shaped beam of steel cut it into a few pieces so it fit and secured the bottom cracked piece of wood to the thicker back piece while also bridging the crack. Seemed to do the trick for now but the sewing job I did on the first "ripped bottom" was ruined haha. Still like IKEA just not as much...

Share |
jchun89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment