Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Apr 6th, 06, 1:38 pm   #1
chabuchie
IKEA holic

iKarma: 90
Gallery: 0
I'm trying to decide how to place my grundtal shelves. I have 36" to the right of my microwave, but only 15" between my microwave and the end of the base cabinets. I'm already planning to put on shelf above the refrigerator. I was planning to put two shelves to the right of the microwave and cutting two shelves down to fit to the left of the microwave. Will this look too lopsided?

Please excuse the messy picture - I'm in the middle of a construction day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00439.JPG (42.8 KB, 286 views)

Share |

chabuchie is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Apr 6th, 06, 3:44 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 615
Gallery: 9
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
I've been blogged!
Chabuchie,

If you put shelves to the short side of the micro, I'd make sure you have a large simple object (say a pitcher) to store, otherwise that's going to be a very visually cramped space. Do you get what I mean?

Also, since the ends of the GRUNDTALS are threaded, can you cut them down?

I love my GRUNDTALS and wouldn't give them up for the world - perfect for my pots and often used cooking items.

Share |
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 06, 3:46 pm  
IKEA holic

I didn't realize they were threaded. I thought they just fit into the brackets. Back to the drawing board. Not the best day: I've just realized (after drilling the holes) that I hate my lansa handles.

Share |
Old Apr 6th, 06, 3:48 pm  
IKEA holic

I've been blogged!
Well, the good news on that is that you may be able to find another long pull at IKEA that you like.

What's your door style?

Share |
Old Apr 6th, 06, 3:51 pm  
IKEA holic

My door style is Abstrakt, but I just looked on the Ikea website, and no handles have the same hole spacing as the Lansa handles. I think I'm going to wait until everything is done before I change anything though. I might like them better when it's all done, plus my fridge will have similar handles anyway.

Share |
Old Apr 6th, 06, 3:52 pm  
IKEA holic

Oh, and whichever shelves I choose, I was planning to keep very little (possibly large canister per shelf) on the shelves left of the microwave. I agree that it would look cluttered otherwise.

Share |
Old Apr 6th, 06, 4:06 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 14,055
Gallery: 123
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 8

Can you use the Bjarnum brackets with shelving to match your cabinets instead of the Gruntdal or in addition to Gruntdal on the right? I think our shelves with the Bjarnum brackets are all of 14.5" long (the brackets add a bit...total is 17"), but yours can be as long or as short as you like.

They're pretty attractive in stainless. Take a look:

We just used a white shelf, but these are pretty low intensity usage. Nothing wet or greasy over here (save little hands), and no steam or heat from cooking. Good luck in your decision!

Susan

btw , ours are probably a perfect example of "what not to do" when trying for a not visually cluttered look. A minimalist, I am not.

Share |
Old Apr 6th, 06, 4:12 pm  
IKEA holic

I've been blogged!
Also, consider using a glass shelf...it won't "read" as bulkvisually, but you'll still have a place for those canisters.

Ikea has great brackets and you can get glass cut for almost nothing.

Share |
Old Apr 6th, 06, 4:13 pm  
IKEA holic

I do like those. I'll be going to Ikea next week, and I'll check out my options. First, I might see if there'sa metal shop in town that can help me out with the Grundtal shelves.

Has anyone cut down Lack shelves? If I butt them against the microwave, no one would see the ends. I'm not sure if I want to go with something that solid though. Maybe glass.

Share |
Old Apr 6th, 06, 4:14 pm  
IKEA holic

Lisa, I think we must have posted at the same time. I think I'll probably go with glass. I was already planning to have glass cut to sit on the Grundtal shelves.

Share |

Comment