Old Apr 13th, 06, 3:13 pm   #1
stacylu
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,318
Gallery: 109
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Adel Med. Brown / Laundry: Applad White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!
We're plotting flooring choices.Has anybody used Ikea flooring? Any idea on the quality? I know they have the sections of it in the store but I'm curious about real life living (especially people with pets!)

Ultimately we'd like the floor to go from the kitchen through the adjoining dining and family room.

My two favorite picks are Tundra Antique orAlder but am not sure with our cabinets.

Share |

stacylu is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Apr 13th, 06, 3:43 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 615
Gallery: 9
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
I've been blogged!
I have the HEMSE in my Kitchen Wing (a utility bathroom, pantry and the main kitchen). It was selected largely for price. However, I might have liked to upgrade to the TUNDRA. Or that great snaplock industrial tile stuff vmole is using! That looks *great*

There have been some issues with the HEMSE in the main kitchen (that did not present in the bath/pantry), so I'm withholding further recommendation of it until the first humidity change.

That said, it wears like iron as far as hiding dirt, but it cleans up well and goes down fairly easily (although again, we had a lot of install problems in the kitchen that we didn't have in the bath/pantry).

Share |
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 06, 4:58 pm  
Moderator; Member #123

iKarma: 10,898
Gallery: 53
Doorstyle: Lidingo (+ Hallarum in master suite)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I've been blogged!
I put a different brand offake wood flooring in my downstairs kitchen and a bathroom. I love the look and durability, but the noise with livestock (er, I mean, dogs) walking on itis horrible! It's like a click with a loudecho. Apparently I'm not the first to notice; a flooring salesman I spoke to recently just groaned when I told him I wanted something quiet for our hallway floor. "You must have dogs," he said. Now, Ikea's product may have resolved this problem, perhaps, but it's definitely something to investigate.

Feel free to bring the dogs over on your next visit

p.s. My mom is a retired home-ec teacher too, Stacy.

Kathy

Share |
kmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 06, 5:19 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,318
Gallery: 109
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Adel Med. Brown / Laundry: Applad White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!
I've heard that you should get the best quality felt (?) underlayment you can to help reduce noise... I definitely have to check this out more but it's my top pick... especially to continue into the family room.

Kathy -bring my dogs... :shock::shock::shock: I don't think you know what you're saying! You'd have a heartattack at how misbehaved they'd be. Tally would be in the pool swimming and Tara would be jumping all over you. And I know you're a quilter (me too!) but what else do we have in common???

Share |
stacylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 06, 7:42 pm  
Moderator; Member #123

iKarma: 10,898
Gallery: 53
Doorstyle: Lidingo (+ Hallarum in master suite)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I've been blogged!
I just used the basic foam stuff they sell with these floors. Maybe the felt would help. I forgot about labs and water! My dogs have both fallen into the pool, but would never go in intentionally. It would be especially interesting if you visited on a day when the resident ducks are in the pool!

Share |
kmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 06, 10:25 pm  
IKEA Co-Worker

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Doorstyle: System 210
I've installed a great deal of Tundra in my parent's home, from bedrooms, to entrance ways, to hallways, to family rooms, to kitchens. First of all, I should let everyone know this was when we still sold the flooring that required glue. We have made TREMENDOUS strides with the click-lock flooring since then. In terms of how well it holds, I've got to say we have one of the best wearing floors on the market. It retains it's color for years, is very stratch resistant and does not nick or dent easily. My parents have two dogs, small terriers mind you, that run and jump and reak all sorts of havok on the floors. The floors look great for having been installed around 1998. The best way to minimize the sound is to use the Niva cardboard-like underlayment. The Niva foam is really good for keeping the floor warmer, but the carboard-like squares are what really deadens the sound. My parents used both because the floors are on the concrete foundation but regardless they could not be happier with the floors. Easy to install, easy to maintain, very durable, and all for a fraction of the cost of real wood and Pergo.

Share |
The Kitchen Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 06, 1:14 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
I've installed three brands of locking-type laminate flooring: BHK Uniclic, Armstrong and the Ikea Tundra.

In order of ease of installation, I'd put the BHK first, Tundra second and the Armstrong last. In terms of durability, probably the same.

The Tundra likes to chip if it's hit too hard (even with the plastic block) and it won't slide into place properly if the floor isn't level. So, make sure not to keep giving the Tundra more force if it isn't moving - the best bet is to have someone align the two end pieces so the boards move with a minimum of force.

I use a LOT of masking tape while I install laminate floors. Keeps the seams together on the loose ends, holds together the first row and makes sure the material doesn't chip while you cut it or smack it with a mallet.

With all that in mind, at $1.49 a square foot Tundra is a steal. It looks good, the dogs can't scratch it and installation is fairly easy.

Share |
bcbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 06, 3:55 am  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 1,330
Gallery: 9
My IKEA: USA-Dallas:Frisco
Doorstyle: Doors??, Who needs doors?!

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I've been blogged!
I'm curious. Who is BHK? I hadn't really considered IKEA flooring, but will take a look.

Share |
Liz H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 06, 10:17 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,680
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
We installed Hemse in my son's room, and I am totally impressed with its durability. We will use it again in the guest room! And I am a diehard anti-laminate.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 06, 5:25 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 240
Well, its not Ikea, but I just ordered a floor from Lumber Liquidators to put in. Its an engineered wood (not laminate), with a 30 yr warranty on the finish. LL had a special a few weekends ago for $2 / sq ft, which I jumped on. I haven't installed it yet, so I don't have any pictures.. I ordered samples first, and they looked great,

Here's the wood (in 3 different colors, I picked caramel stained maple)
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat...ctId=1668&
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat...ctId=1655&
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat...ctId=1656&

Share |
lockburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment