Old Jan 20th, 08, 9:36 am   #1
quiltmaster
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 121,122
Gallery: 8
My IKEA: USA-Tampa:Ybor City
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown-Black +Abstrakt & Rubrik White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 6

I've been blogged!
Anybody know these stairs?

Anybody know the technical name for this type of staircase. I'm trying to research a solution for a tight space. Thanks in advance.

Share |

quiltmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jan 20th, 08, 9:49 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 14,055
Gallery: 127
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 8

Re: Anybody know these stairs?

Technically, they're known as Alternating Tread Stairs, but I call that just plain cool! Beware this type of stair is usually classified as a ladder by building codes and as such can only be used in areas where ladders are allowed. See the Wikipedia entry on Stairs, and scroll most of the way to the bottom for an explanation of ATS.

Susan

Share |
Old Jan 20th, 08, 9:52 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

I've heard them referred to as "Navy stairs". They are really cool!

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 08, 9:58 am  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!

One of the best options for saving space is a spiral staircase.

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 08, 10:05 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

I've been blogged!

Thanks everyone for the quick response. I'm off to do some serious googling...

Share |
Old Jan 20th, 08, 11:23 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 409
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Doorstyle: Tidaholm

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybmw View Post
One of the best options for saving space is a spiral staircase.
Yes, but if you are thinking of using spiral stairs or the alternating tread stairs check with you local building department.

Our site manager told me Friday that his construction company is having a problem with another build. The plans call for spiral stairs in one place but they cannot find ANY pre-made spiral stairs that meet the local building code. And they have not been able to design any to be built that meet local building code.

So they may have to re-design the house to accommodate regular straight stairs to be legal in our county. Since they have already poured the foundation and are starting on the exterior walls (in an ICF house so those are concrete, too) this is a major problem!

Share |
woodswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 08, 12:52 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswell View Post
So they may have to re-design the house to accommodate regular straight stairs to be legal in our county. Since they have already poured the foundation and are starting on the exterior walls (in an ICF house so those are concrete, too) this is a major problem!
EEK!

Share |
Old Jan 20th, 08, 1:22 pm  
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 84,312
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

As I spent quite a few years in the Navy, I have to point out that they aren't "stairs" in the Navy, they are "Ladders" which are really *really* steep metal stairs with hand rails on each side. The treads are only like 6 inches deep and you can get down them a LOT faster by sliding your hands down the rails .

That said, while I love the look of these (the woodworker could do some awesome things with grain pattern in such a stair), I'd think they would be really iffy safely wise. Can you imagine carrying something large enough to block your view of your feet down those stairs? And if there are kids in or visiting the house... Ouch.

That's all kneejerk reaction though, I think I'd want to visit a house that has stairs like that and try them out before I decided if I wanted them long term.

They sure are visually stunning though! It'd be quite a conversation piece...

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Tigratrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 08, 3:15 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

Something tells me people who call them Navy stairs were not ever actually in the Navy...!

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 08, 9:12 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 409
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Doorstyle: Tidaholm

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltmaster View Post
EEK!
Exactly! At least that is not my house. But the site manager is now motivated to get my house wound up so he can spend more time on the new problems.

I need to do a blog entry, but we passed our building final inspection Friday! There is more paperwork and a few details before we get the actual certificate of occupancy but we are almost finished. We signed the contract to build on January 23, 2007, so it about time.

Share |
woodswell is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment