LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jun 16th, 08, 5:38 pm   #1
TSund
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,249
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Dallas:Frisco
Question Laminate floors under IKEA cabs??

I know this is posted elsewhere, but I keep seeing mixed opinions. Going to put laminate floor ith IKEA cabs. Some say always put in floating floors after cabs, others say since IKEA are not nailed down, you can put them on top of the flooring. We'll use toe kicks mostly but want legs on our bench seating. I do NOT like quarter-round, so if laminate can't run all the way through then can I just put the laminate through to the legs and then put on toekick on top? (running laminate under bench seating)

Does the toekick just attach to legs and sit on top never getting attached to floor?

What about my fridge?

THANKS for help. Feel free to move this if I've put in wrong place.

Share |

TSund is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 16th, 08, 6:53 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,318
Gallery: 109
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Adel Med. Brown / Laundry: Applad White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!
Re: Laminate floors under IKEA cabs??

You see varying opinions on this because you can do it either way - neither is right or wrong.

We didn't run our laminate under the cabinets but did run it under the fridge and oven. The toe kick clips onto the legs and rests on the floor. If you do not run laminate under the cabs make sure to build up under the dishwasher so that it doesn't get locked into place after the floor goes down. (my ILs did that!) Hope that helps
Stacy

Share |
stacylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 08, 8:40 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

If you have the option, do the entire floor now. If you should decide in the future to rearrange things, you won't be stuck trying to patch anything!

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 08, 7:08 am  
IKEA FAN

Hi Eva,

Thanks for the reply. Problem is directions say to put cabs first. Some say that is because floor needs to "float" and it won't if under heaviest stuff. I don't know if that is true or not, as obviiously people put sofas, etc.
What you say about changing things later obviously makes sense if I can get the installers to go gentle and not gouge up floor afater it's down.

Stacy, did you run your laminate under the toe kick and avoid quarter-round?

Thanks,

Terri

Share |
Old Jun 17th, 08, 9:13 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

Don't worry about that...the cabinets really aren't any different than large pieces of furniture...you wouldn't not put flooring under a TV entertainment unit, or a sofa, right? So it's fine to put floating under the cabinets.

To avoid gouging you can get large sheets of hardboard to lay down over it while they are working.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 08, 9:44 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!

Hi Terri

We have no quarter round. We put 1/4" plywood under all our cabinets so that the laminate has a lip to butt up against. Then we installed the floor up within whatever setback there was for the expand and contract. Like Eva said, you can run it underneath since the cabs have legs and aren't secured to the floor. We just opted not to for several reasons.

Here's a picture where the floor and pantry meet

and an overall...

Share |
Old Jun 17th, 08, 7:01 pm  
IKEA FAN

thanks Stacy! your kitchen looks great. Is that IKEA toekick? Is there a dark line where the toekick meets floor ir is that just shadow?

What did you do at the fridge with flooring, etc?

TRS

Share |

Last edited by stacylu; Jun 17th, 08 at 7:45 pm.. Reason: oops
Old Jun 17th, 08, 7:44 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

It's IKEA toekick - but that closeup picture is where a standar height meets our tall pantry (with a shorter custom built base). Toekick comes with a plastic lip that DH installed (to keep water out I think?) and I think that's what you see as a line. It's clear plastic though.
We ran our flooring under our fridge and stove.

Share |
Old Jun 18th, 08, 12:43 pm  
IKEA FAN

Sorry for my confusion, you mean you ran it all the way under the fridge and stove and just to the legs on the cabs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylu View Post
It's IKEA toekick - but that closeup picture is where a standar height meets our tall pantry (with a shorter custom built base). Toekick comes with a plastic lip that DH installed (to keep water out I think?) and I think that's what you see as a line. It's clear plastic though.
We ran our flooring under our fridge and stove.

Share |
Old Jun 18th, 08, 1:20 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSund View Post
Sorry for my confusion, you mean you ran it all the way under the fridge and stove and just to the legs on the cabs?
Yep
Here you can see the plywood under our cabs and the spot where the stove will go. The flooring goes to the plywood under the cabs and all the way to the wall under the fridge and stove.

Share |

Comment