No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Feb 1st, 09, 8:15 pm   #1
NBeth

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!
Hack an Ikea lampshade?

Has anyone ever hacked an Ikea lampshade? We bought some we like and then realized the metal structure isn't compatible with our lamps. We're thinking of cutting the metal support structure and then twisting the end 90 degrees to connect to an existing part of our lamp. But the metal looks like the kind that will break if we try to twist it. Has anyone ever modified these structures?

Share |

NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 1st, 09, 9:03 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,840
Gallery: 56
My IKEA: USA-Orlando
Doorstyle: Fagerland

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Re: Hack an Ikea lampshade?

I can show you what I did, but your lamp may be different ?

Attached is a picture of my lamp, the shade, & the washer I used. Put the washer on first, then the shade, another washer, then screw on the little ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lamp 001.jpg (30.1 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg lampshade.jpg (24.5 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg washer.jpg (22.3 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg together.jpg (26.0 KB, 277 views)

Share |
star quilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 09, 10:28 pm  
ted
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 105,807
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

Ikea used to sell a plastic adapter ring so
you could use Ikea shades on other lamps.
I had them on my vintage 1950s lamps.
Check the lighting dept. to see if they're still available.
Ted

Share |
ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 09, 11:25 pm  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,801
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

beth, what is the problem specifically? if you could attach a picture we could problem solve better (i have been known to make lamps, i have crazy numbers of lamp parts laying about... and i'm finding that i once had too much time on my hands)

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 09, 12:40 am  

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 

I've been blogged!

You're right I need pics but I don't have them right now. Actually, star quilter's pictures are pretty good. We have the kind of lamp in the first pic but the place where the "ball" screws on is higher above the bulb. We considered the washer solution. But that would also require that we use the shades upside down (wide part up) cause Ikea's support is way down near the wide end and if we used it right side up with the washer, the whole bulb etc. would show...

So we're thinking of cutting that flat metal structure you can see in the second picture (it's a bit different in the shades we chose, but hers seem to be made of similar stuff), removing the circular section, and twisting the cut ends. Then we'd remove the part that curves around the bulb on the old lamp (seems to be called the "harp") and insert the twisted ends of the Ikea thing into the little slots where the harp ends used to go..

Just not sure about the quality of the metal: it looks like the kind that breaks when you try to bend it. Does anyone have a ratty but recent vintage Ikea shade they'd be willing to cut and twist, in the interests of science?

Share |
Old Feb 2nd, 09, 2:11 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 6,605
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-Round Rock

I think you may have a shade that is made to slip over the light socket. To do that, take off the harp and remove the bulb. Push the shade bracket down over the socket until it fits firmly, then replace the bulb. You won't need the harp.

You also can buy harps in differing heights from barely above the bulb to really tall.

Share |
Keter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 09, 7:05 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 14,055
Gallery: 127
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 8

I thought this was finally going to be my chance to share the Monkey lamp I fashioned. Sigh...

Susan

Share |
Old Feb 2nd, 09, 12:08 pm  

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

You're right, it's intended to work by removing the harp, but the connection points for the harp are in the way of it sliding down. AND, if we could somehow remove those, it would slide down too far as there's nothing to stop it until it reaches a silly sort of ashtray looking thingee a few inches below the on/off knob. Bleh. but thanks!

Share |
Old Feb 2nd, 09, 12:47 pm  
ted
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 105,807
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

The harp inside many IKEA shades is
made of two pieces that snap together.
This allows the attachment ring to be
placed at the top or bottom of the shade.
Ted

Share |
ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 09, 12:57 pm  

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Hmm. Yes, there are two pieces, which seem to be jointed so that you can tilt the shade. I did not notice any way to detach and move the ring, though that would be very cool. I'll look again tonight.

Share |

Comment