No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jul 1st, 09, 8:43 am   #1
design1314
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 606
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-New York:Hicksville
IKEA FLOORING- Tundra vs LAKT vs SLATTEN

Hi, which flooring is better for home? Tundra vs LAKT vs SLATTEN? I kind of searched but can't find an answer, SLATTEN is on sale right now for only $.65/ per sqft.

I found some good reviews about Tundra but how is Tundra compared to Armstrong, Pergo?

Thanks for the help!

Share |

design1314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 7th, 09, 4:04 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 85,031
Gallery: 49
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: Adel Birch (kitchen); Applad White (office); Liljestad??(wallbed)

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Re: IKEA FLOORING- Tundra vs LAKT vs SLATTEN

This is a great question...

I know that essentially the systems are the same layered construction with tongue into groove "click" attachment.

The Pergo floors I've seen are very very similar to the IKEA made ones.

But I do not have actual comparisons available... Sorry. Just that they are very similar.

Share |
RubrikGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 09, 4:20 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 17,440
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Avsikt/Kalsebo

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

Where I'm at now, the Tundra flooring was installed about 10 years ago, and it's still holding up fine after two tenants. This is the old glue-in-groove style ... the click-lock style has been around for a several years now.

The Slatten, like the previous Span, is made with a lower density board, hence why it's much cheaper. For low traffic areas, I'd imagine it'd be fine. Still, I say spend a bit more now and opt for the tougher Tundra.

Lakt is an engineered wood floor, with the surface being actual wood instead of just an "image" as on the Tundra and Slatten. You'll get the true variance like from real wood with added durability, but it's not going to be as resistant to wear/tear like a laminate.

Share |
Please note that all advice, information, and layouts provided by forum members on this site was done on a voluntary basis and out of kindness of their hearts. If you appreciate the help you received, please support this site and donate to keep it going.
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 09, 6:22 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 8,145
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Costa Mesa
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown-Black
I've been blogged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narf View Post
Where I'm at now, the Tundra flooring was installed about 10 years ago, and it's still holding up fine after two tenants. This is the old glue-in-groove style ... the click-lock style has been around for a several years now.

The Slatten, like the previous Span, is made with a lower density board, hence why it's much cheaper. For low traffic areas, I'd imagine it'd be fine. Still, I say spend a bit more now and opt for the tougher Tundra.

Lakt is an engineered wood floor, with the surface being actual wood instead of just an "image" as on the Tundra and Slatten. You'll get the true variance like from real wood with added durability, but it's not going to be as resistant to wear/tear like a laminate.
This pretty much covers it. The older TUNDRA flooring used to be manufactured by the company who manufactured Pergo, but now it's a dedicated supplier. The design hasn't changed much over the years though (just minor improvements to the click system so you don't have to use glue anymore), so you can be sure you're getting some good floor for the price.

As for how TUNDRA compares to Armstrong, I couldn't tell you; I haven't physically encountered any Armstrong flooring. I do know that the TUNDRA has a thinner cross-section than most comparable laminate flooring (7mm vs I think 10-12mm for a lot of flooring), but the added durability comes from the thicker aluminum oxide finish on TUNDRA flooring. A quick Google search indicates that the general Armstrong line has an Abrasion Class rating of 2 or 3; TUNDRA has an AC of 3 or 4 (I can't remember), while Pergo flooring will range from 2-5.

I'd generally avoid the SLATTEN unless you were planning on changing the floor soon or it was a low traffic room. The old SLATTEN was on a particleboard core; I suspect the SLATTEN is now on a fiberboard core, but I'm still trying to get a verification that it's MDF vs the TUNDRA's HDF.

If you were wondering about whether laminate or veneer is better, each has its pros and cons. The TUNDRA doesn't fade, is low-maintenance, and can take quite a beating. It's available in the seven(?) finishes, while the LAKT only has two. Also note that the TUNDRA flooring is the one that carries the warranty.

The LAKT on the other hand has a very warm look that you're not going to get from the TUNDRA, and it's a little quieter to boot (thanks to the veneer). On top of that, some people like the way the veneer changes color over time. However, it's not as durable as the TUNDRA; if you take a look in the showroom, you'll see the LAKT floor is all dented up and worn, while the TUNDRA still looks solid (except where we keep dropping desks and stuff on it; I'm talking 100lbs+).

Share |
fries_n_gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 11, 5:11 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 155
My IKEA: Australia-Adelaide

I've installed Tundra in my home, and written a helpful review and provided some info on installing Tundra flooring on my blog - go check it out.

Share |
grunert is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment