LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Feb 1st, 10, 1:27 pm   #1
2boyz1girl4us
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 3,805
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-New York:Hicksville
What color paint would tone down the orange/red tone in adel mb cabinets?

We are going to be redoing our kitchen w / Adel MB cabinets and absolute black granite countertop. I am having a hard time deciding on what color paint to use. I was hoping to find a color that would tone down the red/orange tint in the cabinets. I am trying to stay away from very light colors..I'd like something that won't show too many little fingerprints (if possible) Does anyone have suggestions?

Share |

2boyz1girl4us is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 1st, 10, 4:18 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 121,122
Gallery: 8
My IKEA: USA-Tampa:Ybor City
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown-Black +Abstrakt & Rubrik White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 6

I've been blogged!
Re: What color paint would tone down the orange/red tone in adel mb cabinets?

Typically to tone down a color, you jump across the color wheel to it's complement. Be sure to use the Ives color wheel rather than the 12 step one you may have used in school. It is based on reflected light and reflects we see inks and paints behave. The primary colors are cyan, yellow, magenta, & black (CYMK), rather than red, yellow, and blue.

Just like the red orange in your AMB is tonal, there of tints and shades of aqua that are just as subtle. You may be looking more towards the center of the 2nd wheel. As you see in the third wheel, a color can have a myriad of tones and tints from almost white to almost black, or it can bright and grayed.

Good luck...

Share |

Last edited by quiltmaster; Feb 2nd, 10 at 6:37 am.. Reason: to correct color name
quiltmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 10, 6:02 pm  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,751
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

actually, in my experience, putting a green tone with AMB actually makes the color jump out. what you want to do is pull more of the brown out, certain yellows will do that, and some blues, even certain neutrals. Take a drawer front to the paint store and throw color swatches up against it.

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 10, 6:08 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

I've been blogged!

Actually, the green card was just an example. The complement to orange-red is aqua.

You're right, green would be a disaster. That mistake usually happens when people rely on the kiddie color wheel.

Share |
Old Feb 1st, 10, 7:25 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 216,482
Gallery: 6
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

I am an installer, and tell my customers that I am very much NOT a designer. In the end, YOU have to like what color you choose, and you need to pick it because YOU like it - not because some lame color wheel or design theory or a third cousin 4 times removed says you should pick XYZ.

Having said that, to say AMB has red/orange tint is misleading. It may have suggestions of those colors, but I think you're doing yourself a disservice to use that a a basis for you color choice.

Choose your own color - YOU have to live with it.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 10, 7:56 pm  
GOLD Directory Member

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!

totally agree chuck. i think designers or other painter types (hi!) can tell you families of color or even give suggestions (my mom has 4 tones of yellow in her AMB kitchen and it's lovely), which is why i advise to take a drawer front down and play. this should be fun. and it's only paint!

Share |
Old Feb 2nd, 10, 7:27 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Ultimately everything said here is right. As a visual artist, I've studied color for years. But, understanding the science of light only gives you a starting point; it still boils down to a gut reaction. Do the color interactions make you exhale?

After taking your sample down and playing, buy a few samples and try them in your home with your lighting *and* your family. Attempting color matches based on a little printed card in a fluorescent-lighted store can leave you disappointed with the finished product. Buying samples is money well spent. Personally, the only thing I dislike more than painting is repainting. I want to get it right the first time.

Here's my technique. Paint several poster boards with your sample colors (you want at least an 18"-20" square or larger, not a couple of brush strokes like they show on HGTV). Then sit the boards around the space and observe the colors together at various times of the day and evening, under natural and artificial lighting. This also gives you time, outside the pressure of the store, to bounce your ideas off friends and family. You will quickly be able to tell what you love (and hate). You may even surprise yourself. I find that people often fall in love with a color or shade that they wouldn't have necessarily have thought they'd love.

Use this method not only with paint, but with tile, fabric, and any other material that you want to be perfect, not just OK.

p.s. Having said all of the above, Color selection is a very real challenge for some people. Don't ever hesitate to consult a professional, it's less expensive than you may think. Your kitchen is an investment of $1000s. A $100 or so spent on a color consultation can be money well spent. Color is what people see first. If you're on a very tight budget, quality furniture stores are a great source of free color consultation. You can pull your entire color board from an upholstery or drapery fabric that you love.

Enjoy! Life is good....

Share |
Old Feb 3rd, 10, 8:05 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 85,031
Gallery: 49
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: Adel Birch (kitchen); Applad White (office); Liljestad??(wallbed)

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

What quiltmaster sez...
One of the best things lately are the little color sample tester jars. You can paint quite a large square with these.
He's correct with saying: "Paint the samples and set them around the room" - you'll be surprised at how they can change based on what else is in the room, and what kind of lighting you have (lots of natural daylight? Yellow- or green-tinted CFs? etc.)

I can agree with you on the orangey-tint of the AMB - I've found it both attractive and off-putting in the showroom because of the orangeness (to my eye) but I'd have to buy a door and take it home to really see how it would work in our particular surroundings. (Sometimes in the showroom I find it annoyingly orange)

Generally warm colors are nicely offset by cooler colors, and vice versa. But as everyone else has already mentioned, it really depends on personal preference.

Share |
RubrikGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 10, 8:29 pm  
GOLD Directory Member

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

and there are 3 versions of AMB out right now, so what you get might be different than what others do (unless they've fixed the color issues)

And i really hope nobody thought I was suggesting to buy paint based on the itty bitty color swatch. that would be irresponsible from an advising position (although it is really rare that i test my paint. but i'm a lover of many colors).

Share |

Comment