No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Apr 1st, 07, 11:30 am   #1
Toxigal
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 19,754
Gallery: 9
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:College Park

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

thoughts on ceiling colors...

i need to paint and i can't decide if i want the ceiling the same color as the walls (green) or the same color as the trim (white).

why am i incapable of making simple decisions?

Share |

Toxigal is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Apr 1st, 07, 11:51 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 14,055
Gallery: 123
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 8

Because there are too many choices. Is your wall color dark or light, and is the trim white? I think part of the question you need to answer is whether or not you want the ceiling to appear higher or lower. Are you trying to make the room warm and cozy or light and airy? What other elements in the room relate to your wall color?

When we painted, we chose a color 2 steps lighter than the wall color (eggshsell) for the ceiling with white trim (semi-gloss) in between. I've been very happy with the effect, particularly in the dining room where we have not only the crown, but a ceiling medallion in the semigloss white in the center of the room. It stands out nicely.

And to think our (stupid) painter wanted to paint it the same color as the ceiling! 'Course, he didn't understand why I had 9 different colors in the house - most houses he does have 2. One for the trim and one for the walls. Why did I have to be so difficult??? (My unspoken but I hope implied reponse: "Shut up and paint, stupid")

Susan

Share |
Old Apr 1st, 07, 12:14 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

would it be horrible to just paint it the wall color..

simply because it's easiest? i hate painting and cutting in is enough to make me want to cry.

my walls are going to be a fairly darkish green. well medium. just very green. the trim will be some shade of white. there will actually be very little ceiling showing as i have a small kitchen and i'm putting in 39" uppers.

Share |
Old Apr 1st, 07, 12:21 pm  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,801
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
i vote for 2 shades lighter, especially if you're going with a darkish green. yes cutting in takes some time, but imo (you asked for it ) it's worth it!

and susan, my house has 20 colors, not counting trim and detail colors... but i was my own painter (couldn't have afforded otherwise)

I did a pretty bold dark "lagoon green" in my master suite. For the Master Bath I did the darker green on the walls, 2 shades lighter on the ceiling and white crown, trim and base (Adel MB and a lot of tumbled marble and travertine in earth colors). In the actual Master Bdrm I flipped them and put the lighter color on the walls and the darker on the ceiling (pretty high pitch so it could carry it). I think it's stunning and looks so rich and expensive. And though I'd run out of steam by that time I'm now so glad I did it. Do what you want, find the energy if you need to, but get what you want!

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 07, 12:58 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

now i'm counting the colors in my house...

only 12, but i have a small house wait, 13 if you count the painted hardwood floors!

my best room is the dining room..it's striped.

Share |
Old Apr 1st, 07, 1:00 pm  
GOLD Directory Member

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!
i've got 3 bdrm 2.5 bath and 1700sf... imagine what i'll do with 3000

Share |
Old Apr 1st, 07, 1:18 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

yeah, i'm in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath..

but one bath is in the basement and is only used for dog bathing..it has not been paitned and one bedroom currently has horrible paneling that i need to rip out and install drywall before i can paint.

Share |
Old Apr 1st, 07, 6:08 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 70
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Costa Mesa
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

I love the stripped walls! Talk about patience. Cutting in. Yes. Major pain. I'm now recovering from an afternoon of using a water color paint brush to touch up the ceiling/wall transition (stupid texture coat!) in the master bedroom. I have 3 colors in there - 1 dark accent wall behind the bed (5th on the color sample), 3 medium walls (3rd on the sample), and a light ceiling (1st).

I'm all for lighter ceilings. It doesn't make a room lighter, brighter, and bigger.

Share |
climber_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 07, 6:11 pm  
GOLD Directory Member

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!
nicole, i use artist brushes to touch up my edges as well! i hate texture, hate it hate it hate it. i swear i'll pay the extra when i build a house to get a flat texture (cause for those kibitzing, yes, in cali we get the knock down standard and flat costs more!) that way i could do stripes etc...

Share |
Old Apr 1st, 07, 8:29 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 14,055
Gallery: 123
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 8

I third you on the artist brushes - nothing better for getting a crisp line. Although I also like the sponge rollers - the little tiny ones. They can be very useful in a house where all the windows are 8 over 1 double-hung. Talk about a PITA!

Susan

Share |

Comment