Old Dec 13th, 10, 9:49 pm   #1
Susan
Administrator

iKarma: 215,457
Gallery: 1457
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 3

STAT White Dining Hutch with Shallow 30" Drawer (Hack)

Here's our newly (almost) finished dining hutch - we used 2 30"x18" 'fan' cabinets, one of which was a mis-purchased cabinet that the cat rendered un-returnable, and the other was an AS-IS room pickup, as was the 30" base cabinet.
Click for larger version

Since we have high baseboards, we jacked the cabinet up on some 6" CAPITA legs so that the rear of the cabinet would clear the baseboard. We hung each of the 30"x18" cabinets on suspension rails, suspended about 1/2" above the countertop, then used 30" glass cabinet doors on top, with a hacked (see below) 30" shallow drawer below.

The countertop is a leftover piece from the kitchen reno which we practiced our India Ink/Waterlox treatment, ala Brickmanhouse.

We've still not gotten the cover panels on, but this is as finished as it will probably get til after Christmas!

For the Hacked 30" Shallow drawer:

We used a 30" shallow (top to bottom) drawer from the oven cabinet, and a 15" shallow (front to back) drawer to make the 30" drawer for this cabinet.
Click for larger version

We used the bottom and back from the 30" drawer and the rails and sides from the 15" shallow wall-cabinet drawer.
Click for larger version

The only thing we had to cut was the bottom from the 30" shallow drawer - we used the existing drawer bottom to mark the drawer bottom for cutting, then slid it right in to the short sides from the 15" shallow drawer.
Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Then we trimmed the 30" STAT/APPLAD drawer front to make it the right height, and redrilled the holes.
Click for larger version

Popped the drawer front on, and that was that! A little pricey for a single drawer (about $50 all-told), but saving money on all the other bits made it doable.
Click for larger version

Susan

Share |

Susan is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Dec 14th, 10, 1:23 am  

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!
Re: STAT White Dining Hutch with Shallow 30" Drawer (Hack)

Looks great!

Share |
NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 10, 7:11 pm  
Formerly cecfconsult

iKarma: 90,423
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-New Haven
Doorstyle: ALL- I'm a designer.

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I've been blogged!

Susan it looks fantastic!!!

I love the shiny finish on the countertop.

Did you have to drill any new holes for the glass door hinges or did they fit right into what was there?

Share |
I-PIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 10, 7:26 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 171,769
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Doorstyle: Stat or Lidi

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Wow, that turned out great, Susan! I love the countertop, too.

Share |
Harpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 11, 7:30 am  
Administrator

iKarma: 215,457
Gallery: 1457
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 3

Better late than never? Sorry - missed the followup to this from almost a year ago!

As far as I remember, we didn't have to drill new holes for the glass doors - they fit onto the existing holes.

Having this in the dining room has been great. Love having the extra surface to park things during a big meal, and I've enjoyed having some of our good china available for use!

Susan

Share |

Comment