No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jan 3rd, 12, 9:22 am   #1
Cjboulier
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 665
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Need help on Laundry Utility sink

New here, after doing some searching did not find really what I am looking for.

I have a small space about 42 inches wide that I am going to put in a utility sink beside a stacked washer/dryer. The plumbing is already done and there but we have not been able to find a proper deep utility sink that will work with a modern looking cabinet. The cabinet does not even need to be full functional as long as some storage space is left.

I found this sink which seems to be a deep utility type sink:
NUMERÄR Sink bowl - IKEA

The only problem is the depth is much greater then most of the bathroom vanities. I have no problem with doing a hack and making it look clean but I can find a cabinet deep enough. I could mount a small countertop surface on pretty much anything and do a cut out for the sink, just trying to find something that will work and still look clean and modern to go with the rest of our house.

Thanks all!

Share |

Cjboulier is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jan 3rd, 12, 10:26 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 32,550
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Re: Need help on Laundry Utility sink

Hello and welcome!
When you say "deeper" do you mean that the front to back dimension of the sink is more than the ~18-21" of a bathroom cabinet, or deeper as in the sink bowl is deeper?
Is there a reason you can't use a standard 24" deep kitchen cabinet in that spot?

My suggestion would be to look outside the realm of utility sinks--for a bar sink or a smaller, single bowl kitchen sink. I have a 10" deep Blanco single bowl undermount in my laundry area, so combined with the countertop thickness it's 12" deep--well within what I would call utility.

Share |
Old Jan 3rd, 12, 11:45 am  
IKEA FAN

You got it, the front to back dimensions. Honestly I did not think about using a kitchen cabinet because I was not sure the styling would work but maybe I just did not look good enough. That depth should work though for this bigger stainless sink.

Like you said though, 12 inches of sink depth is really all I need for it to be "utility". Thanks for the idea.

Share |
Old Jan 3rd, 12, 12:14 pm  

iKarma: 32,550
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

If you've got the space, I'd definitely recommend 24" cabinet depth vs. 18" for a sink area. You'll appreciate the extra space in storage AND in countertop area. I imagine your stacked washer/dryer combo is that depth or more anyway.

In case you are not familiar with IKEA's AKURUM component cabinetry system, the carcasses and doors are sold separately so it would just be a matter of finding a door style that you like. In my case, my mud/laundry room is adjacent to the kitchen, so the door style is the same in both rooms but there's no reason it needs to be so.

Share |
Old Jan 3rd, 12, 12:37 pm  
IKEA FAN

Yep, we do have the space. I was only looking more at the bathroom cabinets because of the frosted glass/aluminum trim doors and I didn't see anything similar with the kitchen systems but I am not set on those doors - the Akurum system looks like it has lots of door options.

Share |
Old Jan 3rd, 12, 12:43 pm  

iKarma: 171,669
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Doorstyle: Stat or Lidi

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Oh, there are the Aviskt akurum doors, if that's what you want:

Share |
Harpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
laundry , sink , utility