No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Nov 10th, 07, 8:03 pm   #1
whatuppa
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Smile NORRSKEN/STRATOSFAR Low Voltage Cable Light

I have the NORRSKEN/STRATOSFAR Low Voltage Cable Light purchased a few years ago. QUESTION: What is the proper wall dimmer to use? I believe this uses a magnetic coil transformer. Currently I get a buzz sound from the unit in ceiling. Also, been trying to pick up another one of these and looks like not made anymore. Anyone have any help please? Thanks so much!!!! JOHN

Share |

whatuppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Nov 21st, 07, 11:23 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 15,208
Gallery: 102

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Re: NORRSKEN/STRATOSFAR Low Voltage Cable Light

Hello John, welcome to IKEAfans!
There are a couple threads linked below that might have some helpful info. (otherwise just consider this as bumping up your thread )
Gloria

Share |
Old Nov 22nd, 07, 12:23 am  
IKEA FAN

Smile Re: NORRSKEN/STRATOSFAR Low Voltage Cable Light

Thanks for the info. I still cannot finda ANY information as to what is the right kind of wall dimmer to use with these. The instructions are awful, no useful information at all. Any electricians out there know the answer ??

Share |
whatuppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 08, 2:24 pm  
MT
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 220
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatuppa View Post
I have the NORRSKEN/STRATOSFAR Low Voltage Cable Light purchased a few years ago. QUESTION: What is the proper wall dimmer to use? I believe this uses a magnetic coil transformer. Currently I get a buzz sound from the unit in ceiling. Also, been trying to pick up another one of these and looks like not made anymore. Anyone have any help please? Thanks so much!!!! JOHN

Bump.

I have the same question. I just installed a dimmer on the circuit for this fixture and now I'm getting a buzz in the transformer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

Share |
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 08, 1:36 pm  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: United Kingdom-Glasgow

I have to say I'm not a fan of dimming LV lighting- failure rates of LV lights on dimmers are far more than on switches, and occur quicker.

That said, if you get the right dimmer you should be O.K. Look for a dimmer that works with magnetic transformers.

Share |
flyingscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 08, 11:30 pm  
IKEA FAN

Exclamation Re: NORRSKEN/STRATOSFAR Low Voltage Cable Light

I bought the Termosfar low voltage cable lighting. It says on the website that it has an electronic transformer. However, the instructions say not to dim this fixture. I'm not sure why. It would be good to find out from the manufacturer what the deal is. I wondering if this is the place to find that out since Ikea doesn't have "tech" support for questions like these.

My electrician says there are low voltage dimmers and to get one that is rated the same as the fixture. So for example, this fixture can have 100 watts max. I' assuming I can get a low voltage dimmer that is rated the same. Maybe the switch also needs to be matched to the type of transformer? Anyone try dimming the Thermosfar fixture and had luck, I would love to hear about it.

thanks, Sharon

Share |
sushisharon is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment